Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:57 PM
tim r

Default Cable Ties On Luggage

Is it alright to use "cable ties" on your luggage? I have read where several cruisers suggest using these. I know that you cannot lock luggage on aircraft, but can you use the ties for a cruise. They could be cut if "need be".

Holiday , July 17
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cable Ties On Luggage

Yes, you can use cable ties - no problem.

There are also new combination locks that have a master key access that security at the airport can use to open your luggage. They opened one of my bags using it and just attached a gizmo to the handle and a note inside. They run about $20 for 2 at Brookstone or Sharper Image, etc.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Once I've been through the airport security and before arriving at the cruise terminal I put "real" locks on by checked luggage. No problems so far.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old July 13th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Bobbi

We used cable ties on our last cruise. I brought a supply with us so that when they were cut off, we could replace them. It worked great, and it was a really inexpensive solution!
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you are not going on an aircraft, but just the cruise, you can lock your bags. The no locking rule is just for air travel at present.
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Passenger

We used the ties on our luggage July 1st -- no problem using them - but when we got to the room we had no way of cutting them off -- we got a room steward to see if he had scissors and he didn't but he did go find some for us -- took a little while though.
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Admiral

We always use ties on our luggage. No locks they sell are really worth a toot anyway and are easily opened and can then be 'relocked' without you knowing it. The advantage of the ties is that once they are cut, you instantly know it and can check you bags immediately.
Jim

Old July 13th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Yeoman

Though that often doesn't make much difference. The airline can indicate that TSA cut the luggage ties, and TSA may or may not be willing to discuss the issue with you future. YMMV.
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:55 PM
SharB

I always carry a nail clipper in my carry-on so I can cut the cable ties. They really seem to do the trick!

Shar
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Shar:
The nail cutter in your carry on is a good thing but it can't have the nail file attachment on it. I just stick a nail clipper in the outside, zippered pocket of the checked bags. Then it is easily accessible to snip the cable ties once you get to your destination.

I put one in each checked bag in the even the bag with the nail clipper doesn't show up.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Admiral

AlinPA,

I just called American Airlines & they stated there is no rule saying you cannot use padlocks on your luggage, although they might be cut off if they want to inspect the luggage...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 15th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

I use cable ties all the time and have for many years. I normally put a small pair of Diagonal cutter (dick) in a small pocket unlocked on the checked baggage. Then i use the dicks to cut off the ties on the other bags.

BUT, I thought I would do an experiment. The last time I came thru Vancouver in May this year, I thought I would test the TSA. I put the dicks in my carry on hoping that they would allow me to carry on board. Well you know the story, THEY TOOK THEM. So I was without my lovely dicks. Had to go to Sears and buy another one. So My advice don't bring them with you in your carryon. It was dumb $14.00 experiement.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old July 15th, 2004, 04:23 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default Re: Re: Cable Ties On Luggage

I'm so confused on this lock luggage...don't lock luggage...use cable ties...can't use cable ties...My hubby won't let me put cable ties on our luggage when we leave next week...I think he's afraid that we'll get called to have our bags checked and then miss the flight or something like that...Should I or shouldn't I? I don't feel safe with my bags open for anyone to help themselves to my stuff...

Triumph 7-24-04
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Put the cable ties on them. If they want to 'inspect' you bags they will simply cut them off and hopefully replace them with ties of their own. You will notice the differance so my suggestion is that if you have differant ties on there than the ones you placed on there, inspect you bag immediately and if anything is missing make a report to the POLICE, not the airport security or TSA people.
Jim

Old July 15th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

hi guys,
as you know i work for an airline (british, but we operate to the US and Canada) and the whole to lock or not to lock goes a little like this:
1. you can lock your bags if you are flying into the us and your first destination is also your final.
2. see above, but if it is not you must unlock your bag upon arrival, before transfer and before you clear customs.
3. your bags can be locked for the entire journey in which case the bags may be opened by the TSA, if your bags are opened there will be a letter in your bag, but the airline is not liable for any damage caused to the bag through opening by the TSA, there will also be a claim form placed in your bag.
4. when clearing security certain people will be picked (and i swear to god this is true, we asked various TSA staff throughout our last trip) for secondary screening.
these people are - males travelling on their own, if you have a previous conviction/felony, purchased your ticket from a travel agency, if you have paid cash and the greatest (!) if you work for an airline! we had to do secondary screening at every airport, and the time before when i travelled with my best girlfriend we had our bags, shoes and coats screened several times. I was asked why i was carrying face powder and my airline ID. (i have to when travelling on rebate tickets, it's the rule) my girlfriend, however carried a pair of tweezers, a manicure set and a leatherman in her carry on and nobody noticed!
it is so hard to give out correct advice, one person may have a pair of scissors removed from them, but the next is getting through with a screwdriver. it is so frustrating! it is the same in the uk as well. the technology is just not up to scratch yet. But will it stop me flying? NOT A CHANCE. Please fly and enjoy your vacations and trips. (keeps me in a job you see )

as for things being safe, even if your bags are locked things can easliy be removed, so do not put anything even remotely valuable in your bags, i know we all do it but just for you own peace of mind try and put valuables to one side and pack them in your carry on.
ok lecture over. i just wanted to tell you all what we are told and try and help you. Confused? yep so are we.
lexxity

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.