Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:24 PM
eileensb

Default Cruise Payment Plans?

Hello,
Any cruiselines offer payment options. Kind of like a "layaway" plan so that you can make monthly payments for a vacation?

Thanks for any help.

Eileen
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:47 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Cruise Payment Plans?

Carnival and Royal Caribbean have Master Cards you can obtain and book a cruise with; and then pay on them as you can. I did that with a Carnival cruise I took this summer to Bermuda. I don't know if any other cruise lines have them or not. Hope this helps.....I've gone into debt to take a cruise in the past, and I'm sure I will in the future also.
Happy Cruising......Anita
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:02 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Cruise Payment Plans?

When we booked our cruise we paid what we had to pay and then sent the TA more money later and then later again and then the final payment was due. It was not set monthly thing, just like whenever you wanted to, until the final payment came due then it was all of it. If you book through cruise line I don't know.
Old October 9th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think Princess has a plan also.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 10th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Admiral

have you looked at the interest rates on these plans??? YIKES!!!
Old October 10th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Admiral

hi Eileen,

What Anita wrote sounds like a winner, and you don't go into debt. Book a cruise about a year in advance, and put down your deposit. You then have about nine months before your final payment is due, during which time you set aside X-number of $$ per month (balance owed divided by 9). When the final payment comes due, you have it ready to pay. All this plan requires is the discipline that it takes to save on a regular basis. Try it.
FYI, NCL also offers a Mastercard (MBNA) earning 3% on net retail purchases and 4% on NCL-related spending. The points you earn can be applied to future NCL cruises up to 1,000 pts.($) per year. It's just another way to go in saving for your next vacation without going into debt (as long as you pay off the balance each month within the grace period). Good luck!

Jack

Norwegian Dream
Baltic Sea, Aug.'04

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 10th, 2003, 11:31 AM
evie

We pay for our cruise like Anita does. We give our TA the down payment and each month give her money for payment. It doesn't matter how much we give her or no certain date to pay her. Pluss no interest to pay. Of course we unsually book our trips a year ahead in order to do this so not to go into debt.
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Admiral

What we do is start saving once we make our downpayment by credit card, pay-off the downpayment, then pay the final balance by credit card and pay it off when the bill comes. Its safer to pay by credit card, you have a record if anything goes wrong.
Old October 10th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Admiral

I know with Carnival cruiselines they have a Credit Card you can apply for.
I have it...it's thru Capital One and it's called the Carnival Mastercard and has a pic of a ship on it. I like it cause I can purchase cruises using it and pay in installments or pay it off if I desire...interest rate is 9% and they upped my CL to 5500.00...enough to cruise whenever I like

Plus every dollar I spend I get one point and I can redeem them for free gift baskets on a cruise or even free cruise tickets.

Old October 10th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Admiral

I have an old fashioned "Holiday Club" that is a payroll deduction. The checks come in October and normally go to pay for my upcoming cruise. It is a wonderful plan.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old October 10th, 2003, 06:21 PM
eileensb

Great replies people!! Thank you.
I think the book a year ahead sounds the way to go.

Happy sailing!
Eileen
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:50 PM
LisaV

If you book a year in advance and the price of your cruise drops, will the cruise lines honor this lower price like the airlines do??
I want to go to the Caribbean next year and because of recent work events, I would be unable to book my cruise in September, paying in full at time of booking, in order to get the cheap rates for October / November, I have to book within the next few months and do the payment method.
Basically, how much would I be "losing" doing it this way??
Lisa
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Passenger

My husband and I will embark on our 3rd cruise in November. We usually book 3-6 months in advance and pay be credit card and pay it off before cruise departure. Upon our return, we just have a small balance from any purchases during the cruise.
We want to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in 3 years with a cruise to Alaska or Hawaii, so I've decided begining in January I'll say so much every pay period and figure by the time we go in three years I'll have more than enough for the cruise (a balcony room or suite) and money left over for the excursion and spending money.
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Yeoman

We also book through a TA and pay the deposit and then divide by the number of months and make equal payments to the travel agent. We have a certain credit card that we use just for this that carries no balance so we pay off every month. After paying off the cruise, we book our shore excursions and pay them off so when we get on the ship all we have left is tips and incidentals. This works very well for us. We booked 53 weeks ago and only have 1 week to go. Can't believe it's finally here.
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Admiral

I recently booked directly via web with RCI, placed a deposit on the cruise and have until June to pay the balance. Until then I can make as many payments as I like.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Passenger

We paid for our cruise with our income tax return earlier this year, and paid for the excursions ahead of time also online. We have money set aside for expenses incurred on the ship, and will pay off the credit card balance when we return. We will also put money into envelopes for tips so that we have that part out of the way also, and won't come up short at the end of the cruise. And we are taking some cash for spending money in ports, etc. We have worked hard at getting out of debt, and only pay cash for everything we purchase - we only have our credit card for booking travel, and pay it off in full every month.

Learned the hard way - :-)
Old November 11th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Familiar Face

I am not sure why people are making payments to there TA on a monthly basis. The cruise I just booked required a $500 deposit (for 2 of us), and the balance will be due 45 days or 60 days or something like that prior to the cruise. So put your "monthly payments" in a money market, and let it earn a little interest before you have to pay it. There is no reason to pay for something before you have to, unless, of course, you may be the undisciplined type who spends it on something else!!

Celebrity Summit
Seward to Vancouver