Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Molly McClelland

Default Ginger for Seasickness?

I heard that ginger is a good preventative as well as a cure for seasickness. Has anyone tried this, and in what form?
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Ginger for Seasickness?

Good ole gingerale works too. I get seasick standing on the dock and this works for me
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old October 11th, 2003, 09:31 PM
salem5050

I love Bonine, it works great for me. I don't think it makes me too sleepy, I wanted to also take some ginger with me for last cruise, but thought about it too late.

Also advice from my ex navy husband is always keep your stomach full, even if its crackers. Now thats my kind of advice!

Mary Margaret
Old October 11th, 2003, 09:53 PM
evie

Default Re: Re: Ginger for Seasickness?

I took ginger pills I had bought from GNC to use on our 2000 cruise. Well guess what, they sure didn't work! So after that, I take less drowsy dermenine and haven't had any trouble.
Old October 11th, 2003, 09:57 PM
First Mate

Ginger works but you have to take 2 550mg tabs every day starting the day before you board ship. There just is not enough in ginger ale, ginger snaps, candied ginger, etc. to be of any use.
Old October 12th, 2003, 01:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Ginger for Seasickness?

Smaller quantities of ginger have at least some effect. When I was young I remember drinking a glass of ginger ale for an upset stomach and it had a very settling effect. That was Vernor's ginger ale which has a higher concentration of ginger than most soft drinks - more like ginger beer. On a recent Crystal cruise they served pieces of sugar-coated raw ginger as an after dinner digestive. It definitely helped people who were feeling a little queasy, though it was so strong it knocked out your taste buds for a while. Not a bad alternative to some of the drugs on the market though.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old October 12th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Yeoman

Be sure to test whatever medication you choose for side effects before you go. My husband had a bad (to us) reaction to Bromine, but we didn't realize that that was the problem until almost the end of the cruise. Consequently, his biggest memory of Alaska is feeling bad.
Old October 12th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Admiral

A good run at the BJ table or video poker slots always helps me. <G>

Old October 12th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to StevieSegel Send a message via Yahoo to StevieSegel

I found out about the virtues of ginger when learning a dance routine that involved LOTS of spinning !!!! I imagine it will work for seasickness.....your milage may vary

Stephanie
StevieSegel@aol.com
12/03 - Celebrity Mercury/Mexican Riviera
Old October 14th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Admiral

i have had good results with ginger. It works to settle the tummy and the slight queezies. You will see me with a glass of ginger-ale in my hands, especially the first couple of days, i haven't taken the pills, i like the ginger candy and gingersnap cookies, take it at first sign of the queezies and then get OUTSIDE into the fresh air. I don't know how it works on severe motion sickness. Keeping something in your stomach- even if its just crackers works well-sort of like the morning sickness cure