Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2003, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to donald
Default Travel Gent said HAL is the worst Cruise Line ?

..............Although I'm sure that this is hard to even comment on........My wife & I were at a recent " social gathering ", at which time, in conversation, we remarked that we were going on a Cruise shortly with HAL which I had booked, at a ' great price on-line. '..........Hearing our remark; a woman ( who represented hearself as a Travel Agent ) replied that I had gotten such a ' great price ' on this Cruise because ( in her ' professional ' opinion )...." HAL is the worst Cruise Line & Carnival is the best Cruise line. " My wife & I concurred that this sounded like ' sour grapes ' to us beacause we had not used a Travel Agent to book the Cruise ( we have previously Cruised with Princess, Norwegian & Costa & have always booked our own Cruise ). Although this is a subjective matter; I find it difficult to believe that the above ' opinion ' is shared by the majority of Travel Agents and/ or CruiseMates Staff or readers ??? With all of its recent acquisitions; I believe that Carnival is probably the largest; .........however, as for the rest ?????
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:12 AM
Captain

Default Re: Travel Gent said HAL is the worst Cruise Line ?

My wife and I do have our own Cruise travel agency. In my opinion the travel agent that made the comments to you is probably not a good travel agent. A good travel agent would understand that every cruise line caters to a little different crowd and what is a good cruise line for one person may not be good for another.

To say that one cruise line is better than all the others is foolish, again my opinion. I have cruised on different cruise lines and yes I have my favorite but I have never had a bad cruise and I can understand why some people may prefer the other cruise lines over the one I prefer.

I am willing to bet that if you go with an open mind and with the intentions of having a good time that you will have a great time on HAL. I never go on a new cruise line and compare it to the other lines because I know they all have some differences. I go on a cruise and look for the things that I enjoy and focus on those things.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Pay no attention to that so-called travel agent, Donald. I've never sailed on HAL myself, but most of what I've heard and read about the line has been favorable. As PEB noted (in somewhat different words), one person's heaven can be another person's hell. Just go with the expectation of a fun cruise and you probably won't be disappointed.

It's those people who sail under the cloud of expectant doom who have the least enjoyment on a cruise. And then they often compound the damage by telling others how bad a time they had. Bottom line: read lots of reviews and then go with your best judgment. So start packing, and enjoy your HAL cruise!

Jack

Norwegian Dream
Baltic Sea, Aug.'04

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:27 AM
Admiral

I would not use that TA as she is obviously too biased to make sound decisions based on her clients needs. No cruisline is the worst or the best for everyone as each has a 'target' group that they cater to. HAL is mostly for the older folks that appreciate art and relaxation but they are also attracting the younger cruisers as well now with their newer ships. It is still not a cruiseline that i would recommend for taking the kids on. I also like Carnival very much, probably the best of all for our needs, yet I by no means think it is the best for someone else, or even us on some occasions. Much depends on what people are looking for and wanting to do while on cruises and after determining their needs and expectations a good TA will recommend the right cruiseline and even ship and itinary.
Jim

Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:03 AM
Admiral

I'll agree here, I have sailed HAL and enjoyed it very much, mmmmmuuuuuccchhh more than Carnival!
Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There is unfortunately NO governing body, and no certification necessary to become a travel agent. For a few hundred dollars, pretty near anyone can buy in, and work as a travel agent.

This does set up situations where people are selling cruises who know nothing about them, and may have never been on a cruise.

These days spending some time interviewing prospective travel agents, and getting a feel for their level of expertise is pretty important.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:15 PM
Yeoman

Just a cruiser and a reader here, but my comment is ...HOW RUDE .. That lady was extremely rude to make such a comment about anyones booked holiday! The gall of some is amazing!!!
Never been on HAL, I'm absolutely sure it will be lovely though! I have been 2x on Carnival and once on Princess and we liked Princess much more and are booded agian on them.
As above posters noted , it 's not the cruise line it's the cruiser that has not researched or has too high expectations that makes or breaks the holiday!!
Have loads of fun and be sure to let that supposed ta that you had a great time!!
Old November 4th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Admiral

It's like "consider the source."

I've sailed HAL several times and consider it to be at the top of the Mainstream Fleet along with Celebrity.

Carnival doesn't expecially appeal to me, but I would never say it's the "worst." They are all so different and so much depends on what YOU want to get out of the experience.
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Travel Gent said HAL is the worst Cruise Line ?

That Travel Agent was not acting in a very professional way. Any travel agent that is decent knows how to behave professionally and never states their own opinions on topics such as this. Each cruise line has something for everyone and some people prefer some to others but this in no way means that HAL is a bad cruise line.
What one person feels is bad, is not necessarily the same for another person and she should have realized this and kept her big mouth shut....
I have only sailed on Princess and I love this cruise line, but that does not mean that I won't sail on HAL. I certainly will, if the opportunity presents itself.
Old November 4th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Travel Gent said HAL is the worst Cruise Line ?

Could it be a bit of a snit on the TAs part since she didn't book the cruise?

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 4th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Starfighter

It's very insenitive for anyone, whether they're a cruise agent or not, to ridicule your choice of cruiseline, especially after you'd mentioned that you'd already booked it. If she was under 30 years old, I could understand her opinion as the vast majority of HAL cruisers are older folks, but she still should have kept her opinion to herself. I, myself am older than 40 and still find myself too young for HAL's taste, but I would never tell someone that they made a bad choice. That choice may be right for them.
Old November 5th, 2003, 09:48 AM
David Starkey

While watching a recent HAL ship debark passengers in a port, I thought it was a floating nursing home. Soooo many senior citizens and I have never seen so many wheel chairs in my life. I am in my 40's and most passengers looked to be twice my age on this ship/or cruise.
Old November 5th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Passenger

My parents travel Holland America quite frequently. They are in their 60's and they often say they feel like they are part of the younger crowd on the cruises! That said I think it's absurd for a TA to say that Holland America being the worst cruise line. Sounds like a combination of sour grapes and one of those "I paid $395 so look, I'm a TA now" TA's who doesn't know much about the industry she tries to sell.
Old November 5th, 2003, 07:00 PM
DonD

Default Re: Re: Travel Gent said HAL is the worst Cruise Line ?

Different cruise lines pay different commissions. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to donald
Default Re: Re: Re: Travel Gent said HAL is the worst Cruise Line ?

............I appreciate the many positive responses that I received in response to my original ' post '. I related many of these responses to my wife & I think that the number of positive responses that we received served to offset any concerns that my wife & I may have had in lieu of the Travel Agents original general negative comments about HAL Cruises. At this point in time; we agree that her comments were rude, unprofessional, subjective, biased & more than likely motivated by the fact that I had selected & booked the Cruise on my own without her input or assistance and therefore......she did not receive any commission on my booking...............While I'm certain that there are many Travel Agents who work hard to earn their commissions & do render a service to their clients..........I don't think that I " missed out " on anything by not utilizing the services of this particular Travel Agent.