Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Default Cabin under the Galley

Has anyone had a bad experience in cabins under the Galley or Restaurants???

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2003, 08:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Cabin under the Galley

Yes I have on the Celebrity's Horizon. I was under the kitchen galley. Every night in the middle of it I heard rolling of carts and machinery going.

When I chose that room and looked on the deck plans, I didn't realize that it was the kitchen galley, I will not make that mistake again.

I let my TA know but did not blame her, but she should have warned me. Now I do a careful research of where my room is.

I stay clear of all restaurants and galleys overhead. I now sandwich myself between other rooms and away from any service area.
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cabin under the Galley

Thank you for your information. I had heard that too! Oh well......maybe we won't get upgraded to that deck. I never thought I wouldn't want to be upgraded...OL! I'm hoping I will have so much fun, that I'll just crash asleep each night...

Old November 15th, 2003, 12:30 PM
HannaS77

During October 2003 we were in a cabin on the Lower Promenade deck on the HAL "Statendam", Our cabin was "wheelchair accessible". Since we have taken many cruises on the HAL"Statendam" and the :Statendam" class vessels I cautioned the TA not to book us on a stateroom under the galley. We discovered that stateroom 389 was directly under the galley but you would not know this from the deck plan provided with the cruise brochure. Also, the home office of HAL assured the TA the stateroom was not under the galley.

We did not get any sleep for the ten nights due to the movement of carts laden with goods for the galley. Then early in the A.M. we heard the noise of all those room stewards who were delivering breakfast using carts to the people who ordered "in cabin" service.

The couple in stateroom 391 moved out and were relocated the next day. We were offerred the opportunity to relocate but no other wheelchair accessible staterooms were available. We could not use an outside cabin since they have high-sided bathtubs and the wife cannot get in or out of these. The inside staterooms have stall showers but lack adequate safety bars. Incidentally there were less than 1100 passengers aboard so there were plenty of vacant staterooms but we felt it was safer to stay in 389.
The wife can be o.k. in a stateroom with a stall shower and safety bars in the shower

We were never so happy to get off the ship. One of those most decouraging aspect of this is that were were misled by the front office personell who did not believe our concern over the noise and their attitude was they could not care less. We were considered to be nothing but complainers. Incidently while aboard we were awarded a pin and medallion for having more than 300 days sailing with HAL. I have been asked if we ever got anything from HAL . Yes, we did get a second rated "snow job" from the "Office of the CEO"

I do not want to go into the trouble we had flushing the toilet,. It was unbelieveable that they wanted to give us the keys to 391 so if we could not get our toilet to flush, to use the vacant stateroom next door.
Old November 16th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cabin under the Galley

Oh wow!!! That sounded like a bad trip all around. Maybe I'll bring some earplugs just in case.... Thank you for your input. I appreciate all the info I can get!

Old November 17th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Admiral

on a similar note, we made the mistake on our first cruise of booking a cabin under the disco! Yikes, boom, boom, boom, thump, thump , thump into the wee hours of the am. Never again.