Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Beginner

Default debarking in Miami

Hello , My wife and 2 sons ( 7 & 10 ) are travelling on the Victory on 4/25/04. Problem is I was only able to book an 11:15 AM return flight on 5/2/04 to NYC. What is the deal with carrying off your own luggage? is this a definate option or is it up to Customs on a day by day basis? I have heard from people not to worry I will be off in time and others who say no way ! what are your feelings on this matter ?? Thanks RS
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: debarking in Miami

Regardless of whether you carry your luggage off, or not, you're going to have great difficulty making that flight.
Not totally impossible... but everything would have to work EXACTLY right.

Miami airport can be a bit a madhouse... especially with lots of cruisers heading home.
And with all the security measures in place...........

Not that it's the case every week, but when I sailed the Explorer customs didn't clear the ship until after 10 AM.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:20 PM
lysolqq

You're cutting it really close, in fact, too close for comfort. If it is at all possible, I would suggest you try to reschedule for a flight no earlier than some time in the early afternoon. If that's a definite no can do, good luck.
Old November 20th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Different airport but we just got off the Island Princess in Ft. Lauderdale.....Our flight was at 11:45 but we were at the airport by 9:00. This would have been impaced if there were customs issues but obviously even if there were, we would have had some time to kill.
Old November 20th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Admiral

i think you are cutting it way too close. Everything would have to go perfectly for you to make that flight. Ship docks, ship has to clear customs, you are waiting with all your baggage to get off the ship, you have to find a cab, hope for no traffic get to the airport, clear security & customs,hope there is no line and no delays.
Old November 20th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Passenger

We came in on Spirit last Saturday. There were multitudes of cabs waiting -although Carnival had buses we took a cab--$20 and were at MIA in abt 20 min--we got dropped off at delta door--there was a redcap who took our stuff tagged it, gave us boarding passes and sent us on our way. Other than having to find our luggage-which obviously you wouldn't have to do--I'd say you have a chance--however the customs thing is what could hose you
Old November 20th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: debarking in Miami

Thanks Carl... That was just what I wanted to hear, especially since we are flying Delta as well and I was wondering about curb side check in ! What time was your flight ? and did your ship have the self debark feature? How about Customs, how long was it to clear the ship? Many Thanks Rob
Old November 21st, 2003, 05:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: debarking in Miami

Having just read the Carnival board I may have already answered your question. Our flight was at 2 pm but the bus transportation arranged by Carnival although there were about 20 buses--a mob mentality started to take over--so my wife and I grabbed a cab.
Again I think Caroline on the other board accurately described that situation. Once we were off the ship there was no prob. But I remember something like a VIP group that included early flight people.

Celebrity Horizon Sept 04 Bermuda
Carnival Liberty Sept 05 Western Mediterranean

Old November 21st, 2003, 05:39 AM
Admiral

Last March, I had a 12:05 p.m. flight out of Miami. We had absolutely no problem. But, you never know what might happen. There are too many factors to include.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old November 23rd, 2003, 08:02 AM
spike

I was on the Royal Caribbean, Voyager of the Seas, in 2002, and the ship was delayed at sea by a sailboat in destress. The Voyager stood by for 10 hours untill the Coast Guard ship arrived. Seas were about 20 - 25 feet and winds gusting 40 to 50 mph.
To make a long story short, the Voyager was three hours late getting back to Miami, going full speed overnight. Many, many people missed their flights if they were before noon.
Old November 24th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Also be sure to find out what will happen in the event you miss your flight. I have been to the Miami port several times but we alsways drove and therefore we were last off the ship. Make sure to visit the pursurs the night before departure and get the color tag to be let off the ship 1st. It is possible to make the flight if there are no problems but I would also be making a back up plan. Happy sailing!
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to drjacktravel

Know what? We were on the Victory last March (2003). The last evening we were told if we had a return flight before noon, to come to the purser's office to get a special color tag. With that tag, we were in the first group to leave the ship. I think you will be fine, as long as there are no special circumstances that happen.
Old January 28th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: debarking in Miami

we were on the Victory last week. It's true that you can take your own luggage, but only if you are a US citizen. the problem with debarkation time is the people who haven't settled their accounts. you'll be sitting in the caribbean lounge ready to go and you'll keep hearing the announcements "the guests from cabins # 6785, 3478, 1124... please come to the purser's desk" and until all have done that they do not start calling the colored tags.