Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Default San Francisco Pier

I was wondering how long it takes from the San Francisco Pier to San Francisco airport by taxi (I'm assuming this is the fastest way). Is it possible to make a 10:15 a.m. flight if you have early debarkation - by virtue of a sky suite on the Mercury roundtrip to Alaska in May of 2004 - and a first-class seat, thereby avoiding that long economy class check-in line? I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had good (and bad) experiences making early flights from this port. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: San Francisco Pier

Not sure how far it is but I'd seriously reconsider a 10:15 flight even if the airport were right next door.
Old November 20th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Passenger

I would check with a ta first. I am not sure where the pier is in SF, but I do know the airport is at least 30 min. from SF. The airport is actually in South San Francisco. Traffic is nearly always an issue in or around SF.
Old November 20th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Look for Pier 35 on a map of San Francisco (if it helps, it's between the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges) and you'll see that to get to the airport you need to get onto Highway 101 and go through the city to San Bruno where SFO is located. Depending on what day and time your ship actually docks and you get off, find your luggage and find a taxi it really is cutting it close, assuming you want to get to the airport an hour before your flight.

Post Edited (11-20-03 13:54)
Old November 25th, 2003, 12:36 AM
First Mate

No way, Jose. Even if you were among the first group ashore, you'd find yourself in rush hour traffic in the financial district. The best a cab could do door-to-door is probably 45 minutes. Since you're faced with a later flight, consider riding BART to the airport. Trains leave every twenty minutes, are nearly empty that time of day and stop right inside the airport terminal in about half an hour for $4.50pp. You can save cabfare to the Embarcadero BART station if you don't mind schlepping your bags across the street to the Muni N Line light rail across the street ($1.00 fare). When I returned from a cruise in September, I left Pier 35 around 10:00 and boarded a cab to the downtown Caltrain station. That was only two miles ($10.00 fare) but it took a good twenty minutes. I arrived home 25 miles south in Redwood City around 11:30 fully relaxed, having avoided air travel the whole trip.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise