CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (
-   -   Fee To Enter Chile (

Ellis W. Meyers November 25th, 2003 10:48 AM

Fee To Enter Chile
We will be sailing on the Infinity (Celebrity Lines) on February 1st from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires. I have been told by a friend that upon our flight arrival in Santiago, we will be required, as an American citizen, to pay the immigration officer a fee of $100 per person. The fee is based on the principle of reciprocity. Is this true, or is it a hoax.? We were not advised of such a fee at the time of booking.

Jim Bragg November 25th, 2003 12:00 PM

Re: Fee To Enter Chile
Hoax. Now if you are flying there or getting there by some other means you may have a small tourist fee be due but on a cruise ship it is all part of the cruise price and you do not have to pay any officials to get off the ship.

Ellis W. Meyers November 25th, 2003 03:04 PM

Re: Re: Fee To Enter Chile
Thanks Jim:

We are flying into Santiago, Chile from Miami and will spend 2 nights in the city before our cruise. This afternoon we heard from Celebrity Cruise Line (thru RCCI) and were told there is a fee of $65 or higher for those with an American passport. They said this is a special fee and not included in the port charges or taxes. Each person must pay the fee in cash only. I just called our travel agent and she said a client who will be sailing with Princess was told the fee is now $100. It certainly seems strange.
I wonder if any one who took this cruise before had to pay this fee. to the Chilian government.

terry November 25th, 2003 03:21 PM

Re: Fee To Enter Chile
Hi Ellis:

It appears that you may have to pay the $100 per person upon arrival in Chile. I got the following information from the US Government web site:

CHILE - *Passport required. Visa not required for stay of up to 90 days. Entry fee of $100 (U.S.) charged at airport. Exit Requirement: Dependent children under age 18 (including the children of divorced parents) arriving traveling alone, with one parent, or in someone else’s custody, must present a notarized document certifying that both parents agree to their travel before the child will be allowed to exit Chile. This document must be notarized before a Chilean consular officer in the United States. For further information, consult the Embassy of Chile, 1732 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20036 (202/785-1746 extensions. 104 or 110) or nearest Consulate General: CA (310/785-0113 and 415/982-7662), FL (305/373-8623), IL (312/654-8780), PA (215/829-9520), NY (212/355-0612), TX (713/621-5853) or PR (787/725-6365). Internet:

You could call the Chilean consulate to verify this information.


Jim Bragg November 25th, 2003 04:27 PM

Re: Fee To Enter Chile
I agree with Terry. As I said, if you are flying into the country then there is an entry fee just as there are in many other countries. Heck, if you fly out of Mexico you have to pay a departure fee and they are right beside us! Now if the ship was just stopping there as a port with you already onboard then you would not have the fee but because you are originating and/or ending there then yes you must pay the fee.

moai November 25th, 2003 04:29 PM

Re: Fee To Enter Chile
Terry is right ,there is a fee for American citizens to enter Chile.

USA citizens traveling on tourism or on business trips are allowed to enter Chile without a visa for a period of 90 days renewable in Chile. At the immigration booth a US$ 100.00 fee has to be paid in cash. This fee is based on the principle of reciprocity. The previous-mentioned fee is paid only once and it is valid until the expiration of the passport.

Post Edited (11-25-03 16:39)

Ellis W. Meyers November 26th, 2003 07:36 AM

Re: Re: Fee To Enter Chile
Jim Terry Moai

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my message. It is appreciated. Guess we'll have to take $200 in extra cash.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 PM.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1