Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default calling home?

WE are traveling on the milli in Feb. and are leaving our kids behind for a week. I was wondering about cell phone versus pay phone vs: on ship calling. I will feel the need to call often (although husband disagrees). Do you have any feedback on this?
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: calling home?

cell service is iffy at best, you will be able to get cell service at most ports - but you will get whalloped with international and roaming charges. Pre-paid cards are great if they are international. The "phone stores" on most islands are a good choice- ask the crew where they call from- that's the place to go.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:13 AM
Passenger

I was just reading in my docs. It costs 9.50 per min to call the ship! Plus long distance charges.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Check with your cell carrier. I spent about 30 minutes yesterday with my Cingular rep discussing this issue. If you have a national call plane (at least with Cingular), then there are no roaming charges AND you are using "Extended" (at least in the Bahamas) instead of local cell service.

However, I *don't* have a national plan and his advise was to turn my phone on when I was in port. If it said "roaming" then DON'T use the cell! Could be as high as $9/minute. However, if it said "cingular extended" it was okay to use because I wouldn't be using a local carrier, or if so, using one that had an arrangment with Cingular.

That all being said, the rep. suggested I just hop off at the first port and buy a phone card! Sounds easier to me!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:04 PM
can't wait

When we were in San Juan last year, i used my cell phone and the charges were minimal since it is considered the "US". I suggest to check with your carrier as well. It is pretty easy to use a calling card such as a Wal-Mart or other store card as well.
Old December 11th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Admiral

What Mike said. He again has the goods.

My cell service (VoiceStream first, then Verizon, now T-Mobile) never worked in any of the islands. Doesn't work in the Bahamas either.

Ship-to-shore charges are outrageous but like Mike said if there is an emergency at home the $9 per minute charge is not an issue.

I would suggest you instruct the caretakers of the kids to call you only in the event of an emergency where your input is critical. Then if no calls come rest assured the kids are fine and they are probably having a great time too.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 26th, 2003, 05:13 PM
cruisin

Hi!
I just got back from the Imagination and my son got sick while we were gone and I had to call home alot. My cell carrier said that I would get service while in port but we didn't so we had no choice but to use the phone that was in our room. The good news is that the reception was perfect and that there was a $6.50 a minute "special" the month of Dec. supposibly. My 3 very short phone calls cost $120 off of the boat but I guess when you have kids you do what you have to do. You cannot use calling cards using the ship phones but i've heard you can use them in port at phone places.
Old December 28th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: calling home?

The price you paid to check on your kid is worth it.... if it is only for peace of mind. I would have done the same thing.