Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Marybet

Default lost luggage

Help!

RCCL lost one of our bags in disembarkation and because of our flight, we had to leave without it. What can I expect in retrieving this bag? It was the one bag of serious value -- of course they didn't lose the bag full of dirty clothes -- .

Marybet
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: lost luggage

Liability is pretty much limited to $200 per bag. Contact your RCI rep and see if they located the bag. They will send it to you if they have.
Jim

Old December 8th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Marybet

Well that stinks since the bag contained ice skates -- my daughter competes and her skates are brand new -- $500. Plus 4 other pairs, not quite as valuable, but at least $500 to replace them all.
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hopefully RCI will retrieve that bag and return it to you. Often passengers take the wrong bag, and discover their error when they get home.

If for some reason, it does not show up, your home owner insurance should cover much of your loss.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 9th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Mark Calkin

I lost my luggage from the airport to the hotel before a cruise leaving from London. It was a Friday and the coach service was closed for the weekend. I left a phone # ( I was staying at the same hotel after the cruise and my email address). I then went out an bought a new wardrobe for the cruise. When I got on the Legend of the Seas I went to the purser and reported the loss. I checked with them every day. They told me that they sent a agent to the bus company (supposedly a 2 hour drive) to see if my luggage had turned up. It was totally lost. When I returned from the Cruise, I checked my email and noticed that the coach company had emailed me the Monday after I lost the luggage. RCL should have easily been able to locate it, since a single email did it for me. Since it was the weekend I had to return without it. I dealt with RCL after cruise department and the coach company (by phone). It took 3 months but I got my suitcase back. It cost $450. I had to pay import duty to US customs on all my old clothes. If you don't travel with your belongings you pay duty on it as if you bought them overseas. The good news is that RCL eventually reimbursed the $450. Was it their fault - no I lost it, yes they could have easily followed up and had the luggage for me in Plymouth 3 days after I sailed.
The bottom line, the cruise line will not really help you, you have to do it yourself. A least in London, the people are honest and it wasn't stolen from the bus.
Old December 9th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Marybet

I'm glad you finally got your luggage. I sure hope RCCL helps me more since they were the ones in possession of the bag when it went missing. So far, I haven't gotten much help.
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Aqusis

Default Re: Re: lost luggage

Did you have cruise insurance, that could increase the amount you get compensated if it comes to that. Also, I think RCI's liability for lost luggate is $300 or $350.
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Marybet

We do have cruise insurance, so I can file that. I hope that won't be a hassel -- they want receipts for the lost items. One pair of skates was newly purchased, so while I don't have the receipt, I do have the box with the price tags still attached -- but the other skates were several years old.

I just wish someone had some advice on how long I have to wait before I decide the bag is a total loss. It sure seems that left over bags would have been recorded that day, since they have to turn over the ships so quickly.

It is unlikely anyone picked it up by mistake -- it was ugly and had duct tape all over it for identification.
Old December 10th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Mark Calkin

I had Cruise Insurance, but since the luggage was not actually "lost" my claim for buying new clothes was rejected. They did not help with the return of the "lost" suitcase because I knew where it was. Kind of a catch 22.