Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Passenger

Default All you can eat?

Is it true that you can eat all you want on a cruise? Does anyone actually ask for a 2nd steak or lobster? Or a second, third dessert?

Old July 11th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: All you can eat?

michelle

when i was on the carnival spirit i had two lobster tails and there was no problem. since i did not want a salad i always orderd two main dishes and sometimes two desserts. i had dieted for over a year and had made up my mind on the cruise i was going to eat what i wanted and i did. they will give you what you want. they serve very small portions for each course. it certainly takes care of the problem of having left-overs to deal with. so go hungy and eat away. have a great time.

Old July 11th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Passenger

Thanks for confirming what I've been telling my teenage son! I'm trying to excite him about our upcoming trip to Alaska with Mom and Dad and "all you can eat" is music to his ears...

Old July 12th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Michelle,
I have never asked for an additional entrée or dessert on any cruise. Also, if I was Pinocchio I would have a 3 foot long nose.. :-)

Your son will be able to order an additional entrée or he can have each dessert on the menu.

Bon Appetite!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM
reverendjeff

I usually ask for two different entrees each night. I just want to try more than one! I am a thin man who normally watches what I eat. I am not a real drinker so on a cruise, this is my vice. Eat as much as you want, tasting the different dishes is part of the cruise experience.
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Yeoman

Yes, you can get more than one serving. When our waiter on Princess realized that I particularly like Alaskan King Crab Claws, he kept checking, asking if he could bring me more. I did get a second serving, but couldn't hold more than that. He told me he would keep it coming as long as I wanted it.

Carnival Inspiration
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Admiral

yes, yes and yes. If you want 2 steaks order two steaks if you want 2 shrimp cocktails order two....... get the point. On our last cruise on the Golden Princess, DH ordered a special pasta dish, that he didn't really care for, when our waiter noticed that he wasn't really eating his pasta, he came over, asked DH what the problem was, and then asked him what he would like to eat, DH said not to worry about it, he would be fine, our waiter insited that he order another meal, DH obliged and he had his new dinner within 5 minutes.
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Order all you want; just, it is considerate to your table mates to order them at the same time, instead of waiting to finish one steak and asking for a second.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:08 PM
jamiegunter

We were on a cruise last year were our waiter would ask is that all you want? He incouraged us to order as much as we wanted We just got back from Celebrity, and our waiter always wanted me to order more than one desset I guess he thought I needed it
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:04 PM
First Mate

Personally I've never asked for two of everything however the waiter has often brought us extras. I have been on a table where a gentleman ordered seven lobster tails, by the sixth one his wife was very embarrassed. The waiter did not even blink an eye. Also, two women at our table on another cruise ordered every desert on the menu to share and often two salads, soups or entrees. They ordered whatever they felt like and had a great time!

Old July 14th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Admiral

On some ships the waiter will not bring both dishes at once. They ask to remove the first dish before they bring out the next.

I can't say if this is policy on most ships but it has been my experience.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

On the formal nights I had more that one entree...e.g. Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail...and on most nights I had more than one appetizer and desert. There was a guy at our table that ordered 8 slices of apple pie ala mode (a whole pie), and he got it. And he actually ate it.
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Mel Poblocki

My nephew ask for 3 lobster tails one evening and no one questioned him. I noticed him slip our table waiter $10 at the end of the meal, on the QT. Once out of the dining room, I asked him why he did that. He had two others neatly wrapped in a napkin which he took back to the cabin for a late night snack. I never saw the waiter hand him those two, but I can vouch for the fact he did eat all three he originally ordered, at the table. What's worse, he stays as thin as a rail, regardless of how much he eats. I must have low metabolism.
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

yep, you can have what you want, our waiter on our last cruise kept urging us to have double of all the entrees and on the QE2 on one night i couldn't make my mind up which ice cream i wanted, i aslo wanted the sticky toffee pudding, i ended up with five flavours AND the sticky toffee pudding! all at our waiters inscitence (sp) so goahead and enjoy yourselves.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 14th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Parrot Mom

It is the job of the wait staff to give you whatever you want.. On evenings when there is lobster they know that mmost people will be ordering two and three..If you do not like an entree and it is returned or not eaten it is up to the waiter to make sure you get something you do like.. When comments are made on the "comments" card the wait staff are graded and receive raises and more tables by your comments... A few years ago we had a gentleman at our table request a poached egg on toast...well, it finally got down to the Maitre de and the Chef coming out to explain that cooked any less it would be dangerous... the man was not appeased.. They probably brought him out anywhere from six to eight eggs....jerk..
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Passenger

My personal best i 6 lobsters on lobster night. And 5 filets in filet mignon night. I know I'm a pig
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:46 PM
First Mate

Yes you can have all that you want to eat. Also if you do not like what is on the menu they will fix you a steak instead. I did not know that on our first cruise. So do go to the main dining room and if your son wants something different or more of just ask.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:29 AM
spaceguy

Yes, and if you want something that is not on the menu ask for it too. It helps to ask the night before, as the waiter can special order it. I was on one cruise where one of our table mates wanted shrimp cocktail every night. Even though they were not on the menu the waiter brought the guy three, every night, just as he asked.