Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Ronald

Default Visa for non US citizen

I'm taking a cruise from embark from Rio De Jainero, Brazil and end in Santiago Chile. It stopped at Bueno Aires Argentina & Montevideo Uruguay as port of calls. I'm a US permenent residence but not a citizen and I already received the travel visa for Brazil. Do I need tourist visa for Argentina & Uruguay (my nationality do not have passport waiver program with either country)? I heard cruise passenger do not need visa when taking the shore excursion offered by the cruiseline, they will need visa if they are going off on their own. What if you do not plan to disembark at the port of calls, do you require a visa to stay on baord the cruise? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Visa for non US citizen

Ronald ...

You should not need a visa to stay aboard a ship.

In many cases, when possible, the cruise line will get the necessary visas for each passenger going ashore, but not always.

I STRONGLY suggest you do your research about this before you go. Different countries take their VISA requirements very seriously and I have seen people turned back at the Rio airport because they did not have the right documentation.

Your travel agent should know this information from communication with the cruise line. If not - contact the cruise line directly. I also recommend searching on the web for any official information you can find from the country in question.

Keep in mind - the US only requires a passport, but the country you are visiting may have different requirements. The U.S. state department says the following about S. America:

Visa requirements for U.S. citizens vary from country to country. Certain countries do not require a visa for a short tourist stay. For some, you need to obtain a tourist card from the airline office or at the destination airport. Other countries require you to obtain a visa in advance from that country's embassy or consulate. Some places have additional entry requirements such as proof of sufficient funds and/or onward or return tickets. If you do NOT meet the entry requirements upon arrival in a country, you will not be admitted and will have to leave on the next plane.

In addition, most Central and South American countries require a departure tax. If you are departing to a neighboring country, the tax may be small, but if you are returning to the U.S., the tax could be fairly substantial per person, regardless of age. Be sure to have enough money at the end of your trip to be able to pay the departure tax so you can get on the plane!

Post Edited (12-18-03 12:40)