Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2003, 02:41 PM
HannaS77

Default Carnival Policy on Smoking on "Paradise"

Anybody heard about Carnival changing their "No Smoking" policy on the Paradise. This info was posted on TWCrossroads today but unable to download.
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Carnival Policy on Smoking on "Paradise"

Cruise News Daily had published this Thursday or Friday. Bottom line is the Paradise just was not making enough money for the cruise line.

Old December 14th, 2003, 07:25 AM
spike

I guess that, CHOGH COUGH, means that people who cannot be near smoke, COUGH, will have to, COUGH, suffer or not cruise at all. Isn't it funny that the cruise industry is going 180 degrees out of step with the rest of the lodging/vacation industry. Allmost everywhere else, smoking is becoming more restrictive.
Old December 14th, 2003, 05:11 PM
PeteAtSea

In other words, a sellout by Carnival. That's sad. Based on my experience gained with one trip on the Paradise, I felt that Carnival thought that a "no smoking" policy would attract all of the business that they needed, and as a result, their maintenance, compared to other ships in their fleet, was sloppy.
Old December 14th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I am a non-smoker, but last I heard smoking was still a LEGAL activity. I've been on Carnival twice (not the Paradise) and I admit the smoke on those two cruises was worse than on my 4 Princess or 2 Celebrity cruises....maybe those who don't like smoke should try a different cruise line and see what they are missing?

Old December 15th, 2003, 11:45 AM
First Mate

Sure, which other lines offer totally non-smoking???? Carnival is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) and the fact that they're selling out on the non-smoking thing is sad.
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Although the Paradise is going "up in smoke" , is it not possible that they'll be putting a new ship in the water...and designating that one non-smoking? Maybe it'll be a little smaller, so it wouldn't need so many nonsmokers to fill it?

I mean, they do need a ship to replace what the Paradise was doing in the Caribbean, right?

(fingers crossed, sure would like a nonsmoking ship!)
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Carnival Policy on Smoking on "Paradise"

Triptaker, I hope so but doubt it at the present time anyway. Readytogo, at present there are no other non-smoking ships. Oceania is as close as you will get with smoking being allowed only in certain designated areas.
Jim

Old December 16th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Reallistically one would think costs of maintaining a smoke free ship would be lower than other ships. No ashtrays to break or go home in pax luggage<G>, less garbage because no dealing with all the cigarette butts and matches etc, less soot on the walls and ceilings etc, and less smell in the cabins to deal with.

Taking all of that into consideration (I'm sure) they obviously still found that a non smoking ship did not generate revenue equivelant to their other similar ships. Why some would call this "selling out" is beyond me. It was a business decision... and after all they are in the business of selling cruises for profit.

Those who are dedicated to non smoking ships are indeed left out in the cold... or in this case, standing on the pier.

There are some alternatives for those who are willing to compromise somewhat.

RCI ships have recently drastically cut down on areas where smoking is allowed (though it is allowed in individual cabins), and in some lounges.

Perhaps if these tighter restrictions on RCI prove popular and cost effective, RCI will give a non smoking ship a try, down the road somewhere.

Oceana has one small area on deck, and one small area in one of the lounges where smoking is allowed. That's it!

Princess too has reduced the number of smoking allowed areas indoors.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Passenger

Or could it be a matter of economics?

Re. Carnival putting on a smaller ship......... they lose out on economy of scale and (paradoxically) non smokers would be charged extra for a smoke free environment.

Then too - bars are where a lot of people smoke. To smokers - a cigarette and a drink go very well together. So long as they have either in their hand - they'll have the other, too. Bars like to sell lots of drinks.

Cigars: A lot of people who do not smoke cigarettes DO smoke cigars. Ships adore selling cigars.

The one in three rule: If a party of three (or more people) are choosing a cruise - and one person smokes - then they'll probably choose the smoking cruise ship.

No easy answer to this one.

Ps. A three week 'Cruise to nowhere' would be brilliant for somebody giving up smoking.......Ahem..... on a smoke free ship of course (if it ever exists)

Pete.