Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Default Can I bring an iron? Is there one available on the ship?

Can I pack a small travel iron? I understand they don't provide them because it's a fire hazard, so can I bring one or will my cabin steward get me one? Some stuff just might not unwrinkle in the steamy bathroom. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Can I bring an iron? Is there one available on the ship

Author: seashell (cache-ntc-aa06.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 12-16-03 15:53

"Can I pack a small travel iron? I understand they don't provide them because it's a fire hazard, so can I bring one or will my cabin steward get me one?..."

If they don't provide them because it's a fire hazard, wouldn't the one you bring also be a fire hazard? <G>

You don't mention which ships you're sailing... but many have self laundry rooms onboard, with an iron and ironing board there for passenger use.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Admiral

if your ship has a self-serve laundry most likely it will have an ironing board & iron. Travel steamers are a safer alternative to travel irons. You will not be able to get one from your cabin steward.
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Yeoman

Bring a steam iron. Theyre compact and work pretty well. I brought a small iron last year. I had to find a safe place for it while it cooled and up out of the way. Not easy in a small space and with little guy. he ended up climbing on a chair, pulling the cord and burning his hand.
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:59 AM
First Mate

Well, how is a steam iron safer than a regular iron?? By your post Alison, it would seem to be unsafe.
Old December 19th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Now that i think about it, that's a really good question. Steamers use really hot (if not boiling) water, can burn you just like a regular iron. The reason that irons are "banned" from cabin use is that a lot of folks were ironing their stuff on the beds...., enough said??
Old December 19th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Admiral

The danger in an iron is it being accidentally left on, and then being tipped over by the movement of the ship while it's still not.

A steamer left on and tipped over will spill some water.

Old December 19th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Kuki is right. A steamer does not present a danger to the ship because it cannot start a fire like an iron can.
Old December 19th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Pardon me, but I beg to differ on this. The steamer has heating elements in it as well. Once the water has boiled away it is essentially an electrically energized heater.

The steamer might be safer, but it is not non-hazardous. I think the NFPA ought to mandate automatic shutoffs when the unit is left on for an extended period of time. I know my home iron has this feature.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 19th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Thomas.. I think just about any electrical appliance can pose some sort of risk. Heck even the wiring in a laptop left on could create a short.

The difference, in the case of an iron, with a hot bare surface, is it's simply much more of a fire risk.

Old December 20th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Seems to me I remember there being a fire on a ship in Miami a couple of years ago that was started by an iron in the crew area. I remember it because we watched it on tv the day before we were going on a cruise (on another ship though).
Old December 20th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Can I bring an iron? Is there one available on the

I agree with ya' Antlerhead, any electrical device can pose a hazard but in the case of a laptop, for instance, or say a boom box, an electrical short will trip the breaker or fuse.

In the case of steamers and irons, these electrical devices are designed to dissipate heat and will do so without shorting the circuit. I guess a steamer is safer, yet I don't think people realize they are still a risk.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 1st, 2004, 08:14 PM
daboss

Be advised, sailed on RCCL, MJS in May. My iron was taken during boarding and returned after disembarkment......................
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Can I bring an iron? Is there one available on the

HAL has an 'ironing plan', where for $15/cabin they will iron anything you give them for the entire week. Best fifteen bucks I spent on that cruise. Check with your cruiseline and see if they offer something like that, and if so sign yourself up right away (there's a 24-hour turnaround).
Cheers,
MaryC
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
TomS

Al, here is the abstract from the NTSB report on the fire on board the Ecstasy.

BEGIN QUOTE

Abstract: On the afternoon of July 20, 1998, the Liberian passenger ship Ecstasy had departed the Port of Miami, Florida, en route to Key West, Florida, with 2,565 passengers and 916 crewmembers on board when a fire started in the main laundry shortly after 1700. The fire migrated through the ventilation system to the aft mooring deck where mooring lines ignited, creating intense heat and large amounts of smoke. As the Ecstasy was attempting to reach an anchorage north of the Miami sea buoy, the vessel lost propulsion power and steering and began to drift. The master then radioed the U.S. Coast Guard for assistance. A total of six tugboats responded to help fight the fire and to tow the Ecstasy. The fire was brought under control by onboard firefighters and was officially declared extinguished about 2109. Fourteen crewmembers and eight passengers suffered minor injuries. One passenger who required medical treatment as a result of a pre-existing condition was categorized as a serious injury victim because of the length of her hospital stay. Carnival Corporation, Inc., the owner of the Ecstasy, estimated that losses from the fire and associated damages exceeded $17 million.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of fire aboard the Ecstasy was the unauthorized welding by crewmembers in the main laundry that ignited a large accumulation of lint in the ventilation system and the failure of Carnival Cruise Lines to maintain the laundry exhaust ducts in a fire-safe condition. Contributing to the extensive fire damage on the ship was the lack of an automatic fire suppression system on the aft mooring deck and the lack of an automatic means of mitigating the spread of smoke and fire through the ventilation ducts.

END QUOTE

You can read the full report, in PDF format at http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/2001/MAR0101.pdf. The report is a bit technical in nature, but is very thorough.

TomS