Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:36 PM
yvonne

Default Can you bring telescopes on cruises?

Will be sailing on the NCL Dawn in April. Wondering if we will anticipate any problems bringing a telescope w/us. I figured it wld be the best place to view the stars since it is pitch black out in the open seas. The telescope weighs only 23 lbs. Do we have to notify the Dawn prior to arrival?
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Can you bring telescopes on cruises?

You're welcome to bring your scope, but expect added delays from security. When I packed my Meade for a solar eclipse I had to demonstrate it to the checker, and he still wanted to remove the correcter plate for a look inside! But as far as using it on board while the ship is under way - forget it. Anything with a long focal length is impossible to aim and keep steady. Even high powered binoculars are difficult. Unless you have an opportunity to stargaze on shore or from an anchored position, you'll probably regret having to lug that extra 23 lbs around. Try to take a pair of 7x binoculars and you'll have a great time observing star clusters and nebula that look washed out in a light-polluted sky.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old December 24th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Admiral

I've brought my collapsable telescope before and it worked pretty well since I could keep it steady. It's one of those small ones that you can collapse into itself and weighs about a pound. You might see one being used by the captain in one of those old pirate movies. You can buy them at West Marine, or some other boating store.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 24th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Admiral

I've also used the 10 x 50 binoculars but have a hard time zeroing in on the stars... it always wants to find bikinis!

Regards,
Thomas