Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Passenger

Default Different Birth Certificate Question

We are cruising out of Miami next week...doing Western Caribbean. Dh has his passport, mine is not only expired but in my maiden name so that won't help much. We also have my 2.5yo's birth certificate.

So here's the question....my birth certificate has my maiden name on it and my driver's license has my married name on it. Do I bring my marriage certificate as well?? Social Security Card (which has my first name, maiden name then married name on it)? Or is the birth certificate and the fact that I'm traveling w/ my husband and daughter enough. Oh...my daughter's birth certificate has my maiden name on it as well.

We found out we were cruising just 2wks ago so there wasn't enough time to renew my passport w/o much pain, suffering and a ton of $$$.

Thanks in advance...

Christine
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Different Birth Certificate Question

Christine,
Just to be on the safe side, bring along your marriage certificate, but most likely they won't ask for it, you should be fine. Good idea when you return, get a new passport and you'll be ready for the next cruise. Have a great cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Different Birth Certificate Question

Actually I have another wrinkle that I forgot to mention. Dh and I were married in Jamaica on our last cruise in 2000....it is an official marriage certificate and perfectly legal (stamped w/ raised seal, etc.) but definitely out of the ordinary. When I got my name changed on many of my records after the wedding it took way longer for each instance as supervisors were almost always called in to double check that it was "legal."

thx again,
Christine
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Admiral

If in doubt, take your marriage certificate to a notary public and get a notarized note stating that it is a legal document. Not sure if the child needs a picture id, check with a travel agent to be sure.
Old January 7th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

It seems to me that I read where an expired passport is still valid for identification within a certain time frame of that expiration.
I would call a local passport facility and ask.

Voyager of the Seas Feb 22, 2004

Radiance of the Seas May 2, 2004

Constellation Sept 7, 2004

Old January 7th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Admiral

I had the same thing...on our cruise in Feb 2003 I took my birth certificate, drivers license, and our marriage license just in case. They never did ask for my marriage license for proof of name change but I brought it to be safe.

This next cruise in March we're using passports which we got last month. It seems much easier to me.