Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:00 PM
george bailey

Default cost of traveling alone

Can you tell me whether I would pay twice the cost for a stateroom compared to 2 people who travel together? In other words, is the cost of a stateroom the cost of a stateroom, period, and if I put myself in there it costs me the same as it costs 2 people who each would pay half of the cost? I know typically dbl occupancy in a hotel room is cheaper per person than single occupancy, but the overall cost of that hotel room is still more for the 2 people (doing dbl occupancy) than it is for the 1 person in single occupancy.

Here's what I think the answer is. With cruises, there's a per person cost for the cruise. If a person goes by himself or herself, the cost for that stateroom is that person's cost. If 2 people go together and stay together, the cost for that stateroom is twice the per-person cost. If the adult price is $875 for me, it's $875 for me and it doesn't matter whether I'm in a stateroom by myself or whether I share it with someone who's ALSO paying $875. It's generally a per-person cost for the cruise, whereas with hotels it's generally a per-room cost.

Is that about right? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:41 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: cost of traveling alone

No, I think that it varies from cruiseline to cruiseline. Some cruiselines do charge 200% for a single, ( the cost times 2 no matter if you are alone in stateroom) .Some other lines charge 175% or 150%. Some offer a share guarantee rate where they put you in a cabin with 1, 2, or 3, others(same sex!) for a very good rate.
You have to check each cruiselines policy.
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:21 PM
First Mate

George - love your logname [isn't cruising a wonderful life?] - singles have a great opportunity to explore the benefits of luxury line cruising. The non-mass market lines frequently reduce single supplement rates to 125% or less to gain the business of single cruisers. On a Crystal cruise I took last September, I was able to get a lower price than equivalent HAL or Princess fares. So take advantage of your single status and shop for a real bargain.
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Born to Cruise

No, you are going to pay a premium in addition to the per person cost: so, if the
p/p cost is $1000.00 (one person) the 100% premium is $1000.00. So, one person winds up paying $2000.00 for the stateroom.

There are only a very few lines that charge less than a 100% premium for single
occupancy.

Cruising does not make any attempt to attract "single" travelers. With the exception of
offering a guaranteed "share", which means you winding up sharing a stateroom with
a total stranger of the same sex.

Good luck! I did this only once when my "roomie" turned out to be an VERY elderly
lady who smelled really bad. Thank God there were other staterooms still available and I had to pay the addit'l amount anyway.
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:37 PM
Dalen

I have just booked my 4th cruise travelling solo and have never paid 200%. I suppose it depends how flexible you can be with dates etc however with a little research I have found some real solo bargains. Having my own cabin is more important to me than actual sailing date.
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Radisson has been offering $99 single supplements. Usual is 25% to 50%. It is the mass market lines that really kick the solos.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
starfighter

I've been cruising solo for 3 years now for a total of 10 cruises and I've never paid over 150% and those cruises were mainly on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. As a matter of fact, on 2 of those cruises, I only paid 100%. On the cruises that I've taken with single's groups, If I wanted a private room, I only had to pay an extra $125 to $200. So if you've done worse than I have, you haven't done a very good job in research.