Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Default passport or birth certificates??

Our travel agent said certified copies of Birth Certificates would be fine along with photo IDs, all I see mention of in the postings are passports. I don't really think we would still have time to get them (Cruising in Apr). We are going on Western Caribbean cruise. Info please
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: passport or birth certificates??

Hi DFH,
Yes, I'd go and apply for passports, some islands will be requiring them soon, and most likely more to follow.

Here is a link to get a passport:

http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html

Traveling with a passport is the best identification you can have, especially if you plan on doing more cruises. To get into Barbados starting in March you will be required to have one, I heard Aruba will be next.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Passenger

You have plenty of time.

Constellation
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Technically all you need for the ports in the Western Caribbean at this time is an original birth certificate issued by the state and a photo ID issued by a government authority such as a Drivers License.......BUT......It is changing all the time and I forsee in the near future that you will need a Passport to go anywhere outside the USA so go an get one. You have time and it is the best form of ID you can ever have and is recognized world-wide as positive identification. Oncew you have it you can also check into those cruises that take you to countries that DO require you have a passport.
Jim

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Run

Passports, by all means. You can get a Passport in 48 hours, but it will cost you more. Best ID you can have out of U.S.
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Passenger

check other threads on this. They say that you need passports for barbados starting march 1st
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

DFH,

Two words, passport .. passport.
You have time.
Our daughter is traveling to Cancun (hotel) an we said no passport you don't go. Final word and she is 24. There are to many times I read where an individual needs assistance from the American consulate etc and they won't give you the time of day without a passport.

Do yourself a favor and apply.

Old February 8th, 2004, 09:48 AM
ShannonR

You have plenty of time to get a passport and it is something you will always have should you need it. Go to most larger city postoffices, they can process you with picture in no time and for a higher fee you'll have it in 10 days. Seems to me it was about $ 150.00 plus overnight charge but you'll have it for 10 years and be assured you will have it in case you need it.
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Passenger

IF you have a second "official" copy of your birth certificate (the one with the raised seal), I would make a normal application for your passport and not a "rush" one. We (hubby and I) applied recently and it only took 12 days for his passport to arrive. I mistakenly put the wrong copy of my birth certificate in my application so it was returned for the "official" one -- mine took 17 days.

If you don't have two "official" copies of your birth certificate (and can't easily obtain a second one immediately) you are stuck with the high fee.

Good Luck,

Volendam Panama Canal Repo
Statendam to Hawaii 2004
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Admiral

We ordered our passports beginning of December and got them about 2 weeks later! I would definitely get them as it's easier to just take them then BC's, ID, and marriage licenses (change of name proof). This will be our 1st cruise with passports and I'm looking forward to only having to bring them.