Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How to get a deep tan?

I am a northerner who has I has been on three winter cruises now and have burned each time. Is there any advice you all could give me to return from my vacation with a nice deep tan and not look like a lobster? I was thinking about trying a tanning salon to get a base tan before soaking up the warm rays.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM
christine fischer

Default Re: How to get a deep tan?

Go to a tanning salon that has mystic tan (a spray on self-tanner). Select the color you want and then apply a good sunscreen on your cruise. You will look good now and will age much better without all the sun damage. (OK, I know it's not the advice you were looking for but I've been bad in the past and have the sundamage to show for it)
Old February 16th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Cruise4fun,
Yes, I always go to the tanning beds about a month before the cruise, just once a week for 20 minutes. We're leaving Sat for MIami to cruise on Sunday and I will most likely go 2 times this week. I've done this the last few cruises and I don't get that burn, it really, really helps, so give it a try and I bet you will be happy. As soon as I get down there, I'll tan right away with the base I get from the tanning bed. I still use a good spf when down there in the sun too, don't forget that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Passenger

Do the spray on tans look real. I got a gift cert. from my daughter for my birthday to go to a spray on tanning place. All I can think of is how Ross from Friends got his spray on tan and it only sprayed on his front side. Then he went back to get the back done and goofed up and got even more on the front. This went on 2-3 times more and he looked pretty silly.
I never tan only burn so I am very very pale. I use lots of sun screen and stay out of direct sun.
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Jeannette

I'm looking into this right now. I just bought 7 sessions in an Orbit tanning bed and I'll start my tanning in a week (3 weeks before my cruise). My niece uses tanning beds but she favors the hand air-brushed tans. She looks great with them (I'd never have guessed) and she had one for her wedding last November and looked fabulous. She always uses a 30spf sunscreen to protect her skin after the color is added. She advised me never to get the "Mystic Tan" because it "looks awful."

Whenever I've used artificial skin color before, it splotches because my skin has sun damage and some areas take more color than others. I'm afraid to use the air-brushing because of this.
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Admiral

I always tan for one month prior but you still must use a sunscreen with a decent spf because the sun in the carib is VERY strong. I recommend at least 15. Even with a good base tan you will burn if you use something weaker.
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:35 AM
dove

Default Re: Re: How to get a deep tan?

Just returned 2 weeks ago from a cruise and what I did was tanned 3 times a week for 2 weeks before I left. The first couple days there I used a #15 and the last couple days #8. I was fine ecxept for my nose. I forget to put sunscreen on my face one afternoon.
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for your suggestions. I am heading to a tanning salon before I hit the high seas.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

The spa on the ship does a wonderful job of applying a "tan" so that it looks wonderful when you get home. Saves you from getting skin cancer, wrinkles and tan lines.
Old February 28th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Beginner

Take it from me...one really pale traveler. I do all of the above. Mystic tan isn't great. The color is blotchy and it stinks. It didn't last two days for me. I tan in a regular bed for several weeks, then just before leaving I head to the airbrush tan salon. It looks fantastic and lasts longer than Mystic, but not near as long as the three weeks they make you believe. Then it is in the sun with sunscreen and I decrease the SPF while I am there. I also protect my face and shoulders more than my legs which don't tend to burn or tan. A tan is nice, but if you mess us and end up with a bad burn, you can't enjoy your trip.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:27 PM
Andee

The thought of skin cancer scares me so much that I avoid the sun and use a sunscreen with at least 30 SPF in the Caribbean.
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Admiral

You still need to apply a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen when getting an "artificial" tan from a tanning salon, still getting exposure to harmful rays.
When on board start with a factor 35 at least if you are very fair. Limit exposure and re-apply sunscreen often, decrease to a factor 15 or 25 no less once you have gotten a base color.
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Passenger

I fake bake for 3 to 4 weeks before going, if winter, leaving in 10 days, but then always use 30 on my face arounds pool and on islands.
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:55 PM
lov2cruise

I work at a tanning salon..it is best for you to get your base tan tanning every other day starting out at about 5 minutes and adding on two minutes every three tans until you get up to about fifteen mintues. Once you reach that stage you should tan at 15 minutes until you get the desired color you want..but you should have your base tan if you work up like that...and...yes...sunscreen the sun down in the tropics is sooooo strong...and...dont forget to out it on your ears..my mom always told me that..it hurst to sleep on burned ears...haha..my insider tip! Oh yes..and ladies..please know that the quickest way to age your skin in a tanning bed is not to apply lotiona heavily before and after your tan..if not your skin gets tight and dry and well..it wears it out...LOTION...say it with me...LOTION!!