Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Parrot Mom

Default Birth Certificates/Drivers' License

A friend is going on a cruise the end of April and the travel agent told her she didn't need a birth certificate just a driver's license. I'm right aren't I.. and the travel agent is wrong.. Right!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Birth Certificates/Drivers' License

Yes, you are right, your friend will need a birth cirtificate as well, better yet a passport.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 12th, 2004, 07:49 PM
AR

I gotta say that these threads are a little scary. Here we have somebody who says "A friend is going on a cruise," and we're given no other information.

Then we start giving advice which may or may not be right, depending on information we don't have--in this case, where's the damn cruise going?

Now, there's no doubt that the right answer is always to get a passport. As has been said time and again, it's the surefire, no-questions-asked document that's made for the purpose. And many of the countries that didn't used to absolutely require one are now doing so.

But this is for sure: If "a friend is going on a cruise" and it happens to be a repo to Barcelona, or England, or Amsterdam, I wouldn't be telling anybody to mess around with birth certificates, driver's licenses, voter registrations or Blockbuster movie rental cards. You bloody need a passport for those destinations, end of story.

I don't know why agents keep telling people to fake it with all these inferior forms of ID. I suppose they're afraid that if they mention the need to spend another fifty bucks it will be a dealbreaker. But they really do no one a service in the post 9/11 world by telling them that they can leave the country with anything less than a passport.
Old March 12th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Parrot Mom

Yes, I knew the answer but my friend who is not cruise savy wouldn't listen and I wanted to have it from others and in writing... She swears the agent at BJ"s told her friend she only needed a birthcertificate... and I've told her the consequences.. BTW I've just ordered and am going to be on my 4th passport..lol They are going on a Celebrity cruise..my friend does have a passport, but her cruising friend doesn not. and they are leaving April 24th.
Old March 12th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Parrot Mom

Default Re: Re: Birth Certificates/Drivers' License

Whoops.. I meant a drivers license with a picture...... Thank you all!!!
Old March 13th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Well, if she shows up at the pier with just a drivers license then she will still be at the peir when the ship sails...without her. She will not be allowed on without at least an original certified birth certificate issued by a government agency such as the city, county, or state that she was born in. A hospitial certificate or church batism record, voter registrations card, power bill, SSAN card etc will not work period.
Jim

Old March 14th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Yeoman

Jim, I think you mean a certified COPY of the original.
Old March 14th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Admiral

No, I mean a "Original Copy" of your certificate. What that means is of course they do not give you the actual certificate that was filled out at your birth but rather the government agency provides an official copy of that document and not a zerox copy or notorized copy. Those are not any good. It has to come from the issuing government agency and most have a raised seal on them.
Jim

Old March 15th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Yeoman

Jim, my point exactly. I think you and I are talking semantics here. A copy is made from the original, the raised government seal is what certifies it. The reason I am bringing this up is some explanations of others on this board my tend to confuse a newbie as to weather they need their original (which can't be done) or a certified copy of the original. I am not trying to educate you, it was meant for others who may be confused. Between you and I, I think we have explained it well.

P.S. Always thanking you for your input, GOOD STUFF!!!!
Old March 15th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Right, it can be a bit confusing because the word original is used. I try to avoid the use of the word 'copy' as many people tend to think that they can then xerox a copy of this document and have someone 'notorize' it and think it is good when that will not work. It has to in fact come from the issuing agency with their official stamp or whatever on it.
Jim