Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:59 AM
Familiar Face

Default Natural Sunscreen

Where does one get natural or biodegradable sunscreen?

I have never heard of such a thing and am very, very fair skinned. I will need lots of it since I plan to go to Xcaret and I have seen a few other mentions of it in some of the other excursions.

Are there particular brands that are acceptable?

Any other tips for one very fair skinned person who can't wait to try snorkeling - and is just a big fish when it comes to water?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Natural Sunscreen

Hi Vamartha

I just bought some biodegable sunblock. I am in Ontario Canada and got it at Wal Mart.

It is Hawaiian Tropic, sport 30 BIO

It is in a white tube, one of those ones that sits on the cap where the lotion comes out. Sort of upside down. It has blue and orange writing on it.

It says Environmentally Friendly Sunblock and is Oil Free and has Aloe Vera.

I hope you can find some, I know it was said that you need this if going into the dolphins habitat and someone said you can buy it right there of course but that it's pricey.

Good luck from one very blond blue eyed white skinned person.

Tara
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:35 PM
Passenger

A tip from one fair skinned person to another. Last summer when we went snorkling in Belize it was stressed to us to wear sunscreen. Well, I put lots of sunscreen everywhere but my behind. Not sure why I forgot about that part. Guess what part of your body is facing right up to the sun when you are snorkling?? That's right, your rear. I had the worst sunburn of my life on my butt and was quite uncomfortable on formal night. Don't forget to put sunscreen EVERYWHERE.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Natural Sunscreen

Shelly123

OOhhh that is too funny. But you know, I can see that happening. That's not a part that is usually so exposed (at least you hope not) when swimming, but I can see overlooking it when snorkeling.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't want my tooshie burnt either. lol

Tara
Old March 24th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I did a Google search for biodegradable sunscreen and came up with Kiss My Face as a brand. I did another search and found that they sell it locally at the Earth Fare (organic and natural supermarket). I went yesterday and got both sunscreen and insect repellent.

I have to say, it was pricey. $9.99 for the sunscreen and $7.99 for the bug spray and these bottles are tiny. And the sunscreen only came in SPF 30. I hope that will be enough, I have purchased SPF 48 for all other times.

Good tip about the rear end. I wouldn't have thought about it. Sorry you did that, and thanks for alerting me to the possibility.

Leaving in less than 2 weeks and can't wait. First cruise!

Thanks again
Martha
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:43 AM
SharB

Martha,
Another fair skinned person here - even with the sunscreen, I'd recommend that you wear a t-shirt. Depending on how long you are in the water, that tropical sun is a killer!

Shar

PS - While I'm thinking about it, vinegar works really well for jellyfish stings (just in case) most tour operators carry it on board.