Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Passenger

Default Departing from San Juan

Good morning all,

I have been reading some horror stories about cruising out of San Juan. Could someone please tell me their oppinion on it. I am very interested in doing a Southern Caribbean cruise during the summer (July and August) but they all appear to leave out of San Juan. I do not speak Spanish and am not sure I would feel comfortable on a ship where half the people are Spanish speaking.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Gilly
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Departing from San Juan

not to worry. San Juan is a great port to sail from. Keep in mind that it will be very hot in July/August. Southern Caribbean is a great cruise. Some cruise lines do offer discounted rates to the locals, but only after the majority of the ship has been filled.
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:55 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Departing from San Juan

The only problem with cruising out of San Juan is the airport. It is poorly designed and on SUNDAYS it is unbelievably overcrowded. There is NO seating available until you have been through the security check-in. It will take you from 2-3 hours to get to a departure lounge where there is seating available. Therefore if you can delay your departure until Monday - do so. SInce you are planning to cruise in the summer, the situation may not be quite as bad in that lines may not be as long as in the winter.
Other than the airport, I cannot think of any reason not to cruise out of San Juan.
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Passenger

I have left from San Juan 3 times and never had a problem because of half the people speaking spanish. (Either on the ship or in port) The worst part about San Juan is leaving. Since San Juan is so far away and the cruise ships dont leave before 10pm the problem is getting an early flight home. (The arriving flights wont normally go back before 2-3pm in the afternoon). Southern cruises are my favorite & San Juan has never been a problem. I'll go again in a heartbeat. Have a great cruise.
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:54 PM
spaceguy

Hi,
I have never cruised out of San Juan but did the Destiny in Aug/Sep this past year over Labor Day week. It was a great cruise! I arrive eary but the airport wasn't a problem nor was only speaking English. Toured Old San Juan on my own.

Took a cab getting off the cruise ship and went right to the airport. It wasn't a problem, yes there were lines at times, but they moved. Waited for a couple of hours to board the plane home ( It wasn't bad. It was much better and easier to get through than Fort Lauderdale airport on my last cruise.

The only drawback to a cruise out of San Juan in my opinion is the airfare tends to be higher, but it is served by all the major airlines.
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sailing from San Juan is no problem; everyone speaks English. It is a US territory.

Flying to/from San Juan on Sundays can be a problem. If you remember that 5 cruise ships full of people( = 10,000 travelers) are trying to do the same things at virtually the same time, you can understand why there can be delays. That said, if you plan accordingly, everything should be fine.

If I ever sailed from San Juan again, I would arrive on Saturday & stay over. Leaving on a 6pm flight was OK; we got to the airport 3 hours early b/c I wanted to be safe not sorry. Flying home on Monday wasn't an option; if I could ever work that out I would.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM
rick111

bump
Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
First Mate

I also heard the horror stories about S.J. We sailed out of S.J. this past Jan. we didn't have any problems. We would sail out of there again. I guess its like any other airport you have some good days and bad days.

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Admiral

I've never sailed out of San Juan...however have you thought about flying in the night before the cruise? Then you can stay over and there won't be so much traffic in the airport...and maybe flying home a day or two after coming back to San Juan?

We want to do a southern carribean next year and are thinking our best bet will be to fly into San Juan a day prior, stay over and then fly home 2 days after coming back and that will also allow us to tour San Juan, etc....

Old April 20th, 2004, 06:50 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

We have already booked our flights into San Juan for our cruise in July. Because its such a long flight there (we are coming from Southern California) we will be flying into San Juan the night before the cruise. However, after reading about how bad the airport is there, I'm wondering about the time of our flight back home. Our flight is scheduled to leave San Juan at 2:45pm on Sunday. Do you think we will have a problem with that departure time? Not that I can make any changes...I just want to be prepared for what might lie ahead.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old April 20th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Whiteknight

I've cruised out of San Juan several times. The only problem you'll encounter is having to sit in the airport for 4 hours waiting to board your plane. The stories you heard are, at best, extremely rare.
Old April 20th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Dan P

We have departed out of San Juan numerious times.Like the others we will fly in the day befor and stay the night.We have never had a problem.We even use the public transportation.If we stay in a hotel in SJ,we will take a bus to Isle Verdi beach.and swim in front of the EL SAN JUAN hotel.It is beautiful.
If we are going on RCCL[they dock near the bus terminal]we take the bus ,luggage and all.The other ships it is best to take a cab,because of the locations of their docks.If you are on RCCL you can go on board check it out and then just walk [5 min] to old San Juan.
have a great trip and not to worry about San Juan.