Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:50 PM
kernfam01

Default Okay, please tell me why I need passports...

I have posted this in other forums too, I am really having a hard time making this decision...The ports we are traveling to, Belize, costa maya, cozumel and grand cayman, do not require them. I will be traveling w/ my husband and 2 sons, 1 and 4 at the time, also my retired parents. This trip is already a huge stretch on our budget, but I feel it is important for us to travel. I don't know when or if we will be able to do this again any time soon, so I don't know if we will even need them again. It is going to cost us $310 to get passports for my family. If I can get by on birth certificates and DLs, I don't see why I shouldn't. I know $310 doesn't sound like a lot to some, but to us, a young family with lots of expenses, it is not easy to just come up with it. I know it is the safest option, but I'm sure not everybody gets them, right? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Okay, please tell me why I need passports...

See my answer to your other posting.
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Passenger

I think a passport is a personal thing. I went on my first cruise last summer and I got a passport because I was born in Newfoundland. I did not want to pay all that money and have problems. My husband was born in Texas, so he did not get one. We are going again this summer with our son and daughter in law and I will be the only one with a passport. My husband did not have any trouble last summer with just his birth cert. .................................................. .I think is best to have a passport...........but if you go again maybe you can get them then. I think you will be fine, I understand about being a young family, if passports were required my son and daughter in law would probably not go.
Old March 27th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Cruisingrandma

I dont think for these ports that you will need passports. I myself dont have a passport. I hear we may have to in the near future for all cruises. But for now i take my birth certificate and marriage license along with drivers license for the picture ID. Never had any trouble. I know where you r coming from it is a big expense for a young family. Use the money for fun stuff instead. at least for this trip. Happy cruising....
Old March 29th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Okay, here are just a few of the reasons. In Belize you do need a passport UNLESS you are there less than 24 hrs on a cruiseship. Now if something happens and you need to fly out of that country for some reason and leave the ship...difficult. What is something else happens and God forbit someone is injured and placed in the hospitial there? How would you stay with the person without documentation? Impossible, proibably not but darn difficult and a huge hassle. OKay now, also when you get off the ship, there are usually two lines when you return, one for passports, and one for birth certificates. Guess which one you basically walk quickly through and which one you stand for an hour or more in? How about that next "cruise bargain" you run across that you will need a passport for. I havce also been saying since 9/11 that passports will become required in many countries that now do not require them. That is happening right now and I have no doubt that many islands will soon require them. Also, they are definate proof of identification in anything you do both internationally AND domestically. Use them on local flights, as ID for anything such as signing legal papers, etc. Many, many reasons to get one and only one not to which is the cost and if you figure it out, they basically cost less than a dollar a month. Besides, they're cool. <G>
Jim

Old March 29th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Admiral

for this cruise i would say adults yes, kids no.