Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:20 PM
First Mate

Default passing the days away....

Help!

I don't leave for 40 days and I'm looking for stuff to do to help me pass the time!

I've tried making a list of things to do but can't think of that many.

So far I've got such tasks as vacuum my car, clean the fridge, plant my flowers, and other such mundane household tasks. But my list only consists of about 10 things, and I have 39 more days to fill!

Anyone have any "fun" or productive task suggestions I could do to keep me from going crazy before the cruise?

What do you do to keep yourself sane prior to a trip?

Paradise (May 7, 2004) Eastern Carribean
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: passing the days away....

Try making a binder book full of information on your trip. Go to the web sites of the islands or destinations and download the information you find interesting. Shopping sites, local history, tours available, museums, local cuisine, restaurants, etc. Print this information and put it in your binder book. Download the deck plans of your ship and print those also. Print the intinerary. You can make tab pages for ship, each port, must do excursions, must see sites, etc.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: passing the days away....

Did that the day I booked the trip

I've printed out all the shore excursions, deck plans, read endless reviews, even printed out maps of the seats on each of our aircraft, and I cross off available seats each day as they sell out.

I've also made a detailed spreadsheet for tracking my flights so I can figure out average arrival and departure time for the two months prior to our flight. :op

If I hadn't already done it, it would be a great suggestion!

I guess I'm just too much of a planner...I wish I could just fast forward through thest next 6 weeks...

Thanks for the suggestion regardless, Thomas.

Old March 30th, 2004, 09:19 PM
cruisinKandJ

Shop!!

J.
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:05 PM
tazee

put on some bob marley music, make a tropical rum drink, lie out in the back yard and practice being on vacation!!!! happy cruising!!!!!!!

Conquest sept 26 04
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:16 AM
First Mate

Ooohhh...I like that one tazee!

If only it would stop raining here in Indiana, I'd be able to do that!

I'll have to save that for the next nice, sunny, warm day!

Old March 31st, 2004, 09:43 AM
MichelleJed

You could do some volenteer work,
Stay with sick children at the local hospital so Mom and Dad can get away for an hour

Offer to help clean up your local parks for spring plantings

Read to kids at school

I am sure this will help you pass the time away and help others at the same time.

Have a wonderful cruise!
Michelle
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:01 AM
First Mate

Oooh..I like the cleaning the parks idea! I love to be outside, so that's a great one that wouldn't require any long-term commitment :o)

What marvellous ideas! Thanks a ton, Michelle

Old March 31st, 2004, 10:19 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

You sound like me ! i'm not to that stage yet because we don't leave till next year but I"m all ready driving DH crazy with details that we don't even know for sure yet because we haven't booked ! I'm taking this whole next year to sew, and get ready for trip and of course browsing all the sites--I've somehow become addicted (only slightly ) to this site ! Besides, i'm still cruise shopping (prices etc.)
I don't know what i'm going to be like this time next year--probably a basket case !!!!-either that or we won't be going cause my hubby's divorced me !

Lisa

Post Edited (03-31-04 09:21)
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:25 AM
First Mate

Yeah, I understand! Prior to booking I made enormous spreadsheets comparing and contrasting every ship sailing the Carribean in the month of May...

There's so much info it's possible to drive onesself crazy with planning - best to just pick one and book it so then you can focus on the minute, tiny details that will REALLY drive your spouse crazy!

My poor DH - he's so sick of hearing about the cruise he's become numb to the topic. He doesn't even act excited - I'm excited enough for the both of us! (But I know deep down he's looking forward to it - he's just not the uptight planner than I am <grin>)

I just needed stuff to keep me occupied until then. At least I'm now under the "40 day" mark!

Old March 31st, 2004, 11:24 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

jennifer
Are we sisters or what???? geez !!! bet you're skinnier than me though
I've got a year to loose some weight--do ya think it will happen?????
we've already decided on Conquest for 8/7/2005 just waiting for hubby's bonus to book it--thinking it will show up in late May early June--(if not before)--and we might have to wait till the next one in Sept.--if the first isn't very large (which sometimes it's not) because we've got to get some critical things done around the house--ie sprinkler system or at least partial etc. first--the cruise can wait if neccessary.

Old March 31st, 2004, 12:16 PM
First Mate

Yeah, I understand!

We wouldn't be taking this cruise if it wasn't a gift from my parents! So much other stuff that takes financial priority, but I'm sure once I cruise once, it will become an all-encompassing passion and nothing else will matter <grin>

I joined a gym the day we booked <> I've managed to go six times a week since then, so I've managed to tone and sculpt a bit. And I've got six weeks to go, so hopefully I can improve some more before then.

Gotta be able to fit into my new, adorable Burberry bikini. I went and bought it so I'd have something tangible to motivate me, since my cruise docs won't arrive for another month or so :o)

Old March 31st, 2004, 01:53 PM
Admiral

i feel your pain, lets see what can you do? drag out the suitcases, air them all out. Make sure you have all of your basic toiletries needs. Go thru your closet and make a list of what clothes you are taking. Take clothes to the dry cleaners if they need them, shop for clothes if you find you need something, check buttons , zippers and fasteners on all garments just to make sure. Make arrangements for a house/pet sitter if necessary.
Make sure everything is in order - ie: flights, hotels, car, parking, passports etc.
Order any prescription meds that you might be running low on. Pack a weeks supply of all your meds.
Make an appointment to get your hair cut,highlighted, whatever you have done
Make an appointment for a pedicure/manicure for a couple of days before departure
Check the batteries in your camera make sure they are charged.
If you need snorkel gear - go buy it now so you won't forget.
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to rehr

Wait until you get to the stage I am in right now. It feels like time is moving soooo slowly. I am going to have to try some of the tips suggested here lol : ) I hope the time moves faster (for all of us). Happy Cruising!

Hopeful Undetermined Cruise
Past Cruises:
Paradise 4/11/04
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: passing the days away....

Jennifervail: As a first time cruiser, I'm somewhat surprised at how obsessed I've become too. LisaK has some great suggestions.....I put some of them on my list, but bet you've done many of them already, too!!!?!!!

Here are some other ideas to pass the time that I've resorted to: Find a good stationary/paper store near you and order a REAL leather (or good faux) photo album engraved in gold with Ship or Destination Name & Date. It should arrive in time for ALL those pictures I sense you're bringing back! If you continue to do this as you go on trips in the future (by whatever means), you will accumulate quite a few and they are SO fun to look back on. (Not to mention they look GREAT on your bookshelves!)Maybe get some pages to add to write down your impressions after each day/port. Write each night of your cruise before bed...10-15 min. We cruise Narragansett Bay, Vineyard, Block, CT, Long Island, etc. We've owned our boat 14 years. I got a Ship's Log first year. And, EVERY time we return to Port, even if we only went to a gas dock, I record day, time, whose on-board,weather,seas & a short despcription of what we did, who we met, blah, blah. Takes little time, husband thought I was nuts until we decided to maybe sell this year and I can document every gallon of gas/ fuel consumption per hour, etc! He loves to read it!

Next futile attempt to make time pass by is Amazon for books, DVD's of your destination, history books re: same, etc. Remember, the library is free! Go to reference desk and they'll keep you occupied for HOURS!

Lastly, since you seem to suspect you just might get hooked on cruising, start to dream & plan your NEXT cruise.........just in case you loveit , you want to be prepared ? Start a Vacation Club at your local bank for ANY trip you two might want to do NEXT year. You might only be able to afford a week-end away by carand that's special for a couple, too. But start scouting the net now. Begin to plan for the NEXT great cruise adventure, even if it is several years off!! You sound pretty thorough...should take you some time

Marty
P.S. Crest strips to whiten teeth takes some planning....and time,my hygenists say lots of people do that before a BIG event
Old April 9th, 2004, 10:30 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: passing the days away....

Marty-

Thanks for your well-thought out suggestions!

That sounds like a wonderful idea - I had planned to do a video-documentary of our trip. Saving our capers, menus, room service door hangers, etc. was something I was going to do anyhow, and now with your suggestion, I'll have a LOVELY place to put them all! I'm already a compuslive journaler, so I had the synopses of each day thing down pat ;o)

I've raided my library for all their books and DVDs/videos already - as well as the internet. Since I'd done all that already, that's why I posted my desperate plea for ideas to keep me occupied!

Good idea on the white strips - I've had my teeth whitened by the dentist, but I'll suggest it to my husband. We have the BIG box from Costco, but he used them once and forgot about them. So I'll goad him to put those things back on so all our cruise pics will have pretty smiles in them! :o)

And BTW - I'm planning a 3-day cruise with my parents for this fall to see if they like it. They don't like being away from home for any longer than 2 or 3 nights, so I'm finding the perfect ship & route to see if I can get them hooked as well.

Old April 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: passing the days away....

Jennifervail: Planning a short cruise for your parents is a wonderful,thoughtful way to thank them for their lovely gift to you of your lst cruise! I'd be proud to have you be MY daughter!!!

I think you'll be pleased if you do the "hard copy" scrapbook -type thing and the journal too. The video will be great to have in the short term. But, I'm thinking by the time we're 80, the technology required to "play back" a 2004 video will likely be obsolete. But, no one can take away your photo album, memorabilia & your daily journal.......that will be with you when your rocking on that porch someday

My dentist says the CREST strips....NO others....are as good as the in office whitening. Since, that reccomendation for sure cuts HIS profits, I'm thinking that's probably his honest opinion? Supposedly, ONLY the Crest stuff has ADA approval.

Good Luck on your cruise. Marty
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: passing the days away....

Thanks Marty. That's a kind sentiment!

Good point about the obsolete technology! The hard copy scrapbook will be fun to put together during and after the cruise, to keep those memories fresh!

We have the Crest Strips in the industrial-size box *lol*. I already told my husband to use them before the trip, and he agreed it's a good idea :o)

BTW - I got my docs today, so my excitement level has increased exponentially! Got everything filled out and now I just have to make my copies of EVERYTHING - better thorough than sorry.

Old April 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM
dan p

Go to the library and get the Frommers book on the area you are going to and read up on the locations.We do that ,then get an idea on what we want to do.then return the books.A few day befor you leave take the books out again and take them with you as guides.It depends on how long your library lets you keep the books out.