Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Kaye

Default No Iron ?

I have read some posts that seem to say that you can not bring irons. Why is this ? I will be on the Inspiration in May and want to know if there are irons in our rooms. If not, then I guess I'll be spending a few hours ironing and folding in front of the TV, before we leave ! And spending a little more time relaxing on the ship ! Hey...that's not so bad.
Thanks
~K~
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:46 PM
First Mate

Default Re: No Iron ?

Can I wash my clothes while on board?

Self-Service Launderettes

Each ship has at least 2 self-service launderettes located on the stateroom decks.

There are two or three washers and dryers, and one iron and ironing board in each launderette. The cost is $2.00 per washer load and $2.00 per dryer load. Vending machines dispense small boxes of detergent and water softener at $1.00 per box.

Note: Due to local environmental requirements, the washing machines in the guest' launderette will be closed in port, per each ports specific requirements; the dryers and irons will be available for guest use.

©Carnival Cruise Lines 2004. All rights reserved.

Irons,heating pads and candles are not allowed in passenger staterooms as they are a fire hazzard.
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:00 AM
jamiegunter

Irons are a fire hazard.
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:59 AM
Admiral

steamers are allowed, hanging your clothes in the bathroom and filling the tub with hot hot water works well as do those wrinkle reducer sprays. I usually end up pressing dress shirts on board that's about it. Garment bags are great also
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:33 AM
Kaye

Default Re: Re: No Iron ?

Thanks for the info, I kinda feel dumb now though. I didn't think about the iron being a fire hazard. But it makes good sense to me ! Oh well it is my first cruise and i'm just learning. I am guessing that curling irons are ok ? Because you use them in the bathroom or at least at a desk. If I can't bring one of those either, please let me know.
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:00 PM
Admiral

yes Kaye, curling irons are allowed. If they have a polarized plug you won't be able to use them in the bathroom, same goes for your hairdryer. I always sit at the desk in our cabin and curl my hair, i would be lost without my curling iron!
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:13 PM
cruisinKandJ

I never iron anytrhing befoer I pack it. No matter how I pack clothes they ALWAYS wrinkle:.( Hotels that have irons and boards in the room win my heart; ships, too.

J.
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm trying to learn the roll method. They say it works wonders.

The Big Red Boat 1990
Imagination 2000
Holiday 2004
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:07 AM
Kaye

Default Re: Re: Re: No Iron ?

Thanks to all with the advice, but actually my method has worked pretty well for me in the past. I just iron all my tops and fold them to where they look like I just bought them from a store and layer wax paper between each one. Shorts, I do the same. Works well. I just have iron folds down all of my clothes !!! So if anyone sees a skinny gal with folds down her shirts on the Inspiration May 23-June 30......

That will be me !!!

Kaye
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:37 AM
Sky Wings

Please folks try rolling your clothes. I have not had to iron anything on trips for years with this method. Try a dry run before your actual trip. Take out your suit case and place some rolled up clothes in there. Go ahead pack them in there, pile them up.
Next day or two take them out and hang them back up. Then you will know if it works!
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi, I have been on several different Carnival ships and there is always at least 1 public laundry room. There have been irons located there for those who need them.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:32 AM
cruisinKandJ

Yes, there are laundrettes on most ships. Princess has 'em on every deck, bless their hearts. QE2 has one on the deck above ours. I don't iron everything at the same time; just what I/we need immediately. That way, I don't hog the iron and board nor spend so much time in a laundrette.

J.
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to ColdInCanada

Does anyone know if the NOS has a public laundry area where I could iron a few things if needed? I didn't see one on the ships deck plans.

FIRST CRUISE! VERY EXCITED! APRIL 10/04.

P.S. Cruisemates has been a wealth of information. Thank you to all those experienced cruisers.
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to ColdInCanada

Thanks Mike, now that you mention it, I do remember reading it some time ago. I must have forgotten with all the excitement.

Gail
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Beginner

ok...back to the curling iron thing (sorry!). How about straightening irons for hair? I suppose I could live without it, but I have naturally curly hair thats been chemically straightened, and it tends to curl up a little sometimes...any info about the straightener would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Can't wait

What happens if you bring an iron
Does anyone know ????
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Admiral

Not really. I brought one of those small travel irons on my first cruise years ago not knowing they were not allowed. Nobody said anything to me.

This method works best for me: I just wad up all my clothes and stuff them anyway they will go into the luggage. When I get onboard I send them all to the laundry. That evening they magically reappear all pressed and hanging in my closet.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Admiral

straightening irons are fine. Have never heard of anyone's travel iron's being taken. Its just a posted fire hazzard, mainly because people forget to shut them off, or try to iron their clothes on the bed.