Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:10 PM
kassiesgm

Default Switching cabins when on board with teenagers

We are cruising in June with our 13 and 18 year old. Was told by my TA that the cabin assignments will be one child and one adult per our two cabins. Has anyone switched cabins when on board so that hubby and I are in one cbin and kids in another. Is this a problem. Any suggestions. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Switching cabins when on board with teenagers

When we've booked our cruises we've been able to book our cabins with the kids in one and the adults in the other. Once you board I suggest you go to the purser's desk and ask them to switch you. Happy cruising.

Darcy
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Admiral

You might ask your TA to double check, but I believe they can list the kids in one room if the adults are right next door. That's what we're planning on doing...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Could there be a good reason why the cruise lines have that policy.....no kids in cabin by themselves without ADULT supervision? Gezzzzzzzz!

Old April 8th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Admiral

when you book you have to have 1 adult listed in the cabin that the kids are in. It just has to be on paper. Go to the pursers office when you get onboard and ask them to make another sign and sail card for you. As the parent you want to be able to get into either room if need be, simple as that.
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM
ready2go

We also had 2 rooms next door. It is no problem. Just goto the Pursers desk. You might want to wait until everyone is at dinner that first night or something because when we first got on the boat the line at the pursers desk was long.
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Pela

Default Re: Re: Switching cabins when on board with teenagers

Rick, the original post referred to 13- and 18-year-olds. Kids this age are usually responsible enough to sleep in a room without adult supervision, as they do at home on a regular basis. Especially considering that the parents are next door, I don't understand your problem with this. An 18-year old is old enough to vote and fight for our country, for pete's sake. Give them some credit for being responsible.
Old April 8th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Pela .....lol...relax..take a deep breath. My question was "Could there be a good reason why the cruise lines have that policy"? I am very familiar with an 18 year old being able to fight for their country even BEFORE they had the right to vote . . Been there done that. I do believe the cruise line must have some reason for their rule on that. If the cruise line allows it via adjacent rooms , okay . I know this may be a silly question BUT I think parents should teach their children to respect rules and regs, NOT how to get around them by lying....which is what a couple posts here are advocating. Actually, I could care less.....I simply asked a question...."Could there be a good reason why the cruise lines have that policy?"

>>>Kids this age are usually responsible enough to sleep in a room without adult supervision, as they do at home on a regular basis>>>>

I don't think you can compare at home sleeping arrangements to those on a cruise ship.

I am sure there are a lot of 13 to 18 years old teenagers who can drink alcoholic beverages and act with a lot more sense than a 50 year old. But the law sets a specific legal age for all....Rules (like child in room with adult at least 25 yrs old (25 right?)) are made for everyone...you can't say okay this "responsible" 13 yr old can have his/her own cabin but this other "irresponsible" 13 yr old can't. Since I am drunk, I doubt I am stating my point very well. <G>

Post Edited (04-08-04 18:32)

Old April 8th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Gail from Nova Scotia

We sailed on Milli in Dec 2001 with 12 and 14 year old in cabin next to ours. Absolutely no problems with putting them together. The kids loved it and we loved it. They could sleep in in the morning while we went to the gym and had breakfast. By the time we were back they were starting to stir! We are doing the same this upcoming trip but they will be17 and 15.
Gail
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:58 PM
ready2go

Ok I might be considered a REAL bad parent...my girls were in the room next door and they are only 10 and 15.
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Passenger

We're going on Voyager and have kids 15, 13 and 11 staying in connecting room next to ours. We were not booked that way but that was only due to TA error. I had her check to make sure it would be ok to switch and they said it was fine. Kids can be in room alone if it is adjoining or connecting to parents. And it is ok to stay in whichever room once we get there.
Hope that helps,
Gina

Voyager of the Seas
Old April 9th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Ready -

You're not the only one. We've been doing the same thing since our kids were even younger than yours. We make sure we have rooms next to each other and even now bring the "baby" monitor so we can make sure we know what's going on the in the next room (they're now 10, 12, 15, & 19).

Darcy
Old April 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM
adnor

We have 3 daughters 18, 16, and 13 and they are listed on the adjoining room to ours. Have a good cruise; we leave next Saturday.