Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Passenger

Default Luggage and a late flight out

We are not scheduled to fly out of FLL until 930 PM the day of Disem. We would like to hit the bech or do some type of touristy thing for the day. But what do you do with your luggage while you are out and about town? I know we could rent a car for the day, but are there other options?

Also, what do you do when the customs guy asks you to account for your luggage not being out of your posession since you packed it and it has in fact been in the possession of the cruise line since the last night of the cruise?

Old July 6th, 2004, 03:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: Luggage and a late flight out

This has been discussed a lot on another board and some people have chosen to either take their luggage to the airport a few hours early (if your airline will allow it), rent a car as you said or take a private tour that can accomodate your luggage. If you want to hang out on the beach, I dont think there is really a safe place to keep your luggage unless you perhaps want to get a hotel room and have them hold on to your luggage for you.
I would call the port and see if they have any suggestions. I am sure they run into this all the time.

Old July 6th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can also look into booking a post-excursion where you can spend the day at a hotel before heading to the airport. They will let you know about these excursions once you are onboard.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Ginnie

Default Re: Re: Luggage and a late flight out

We booked a "day-room " at the Marriott Marina last year. It cost $75.00, but it was worth it. We were able to leave our luggage with the Bellhop, and just packed some things in our carry ons to change later on. We sat by the pool, had lunch, had a few drinks and took a leisurely shower to get dressed for our evening flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. We were very relaxed when we returned home to our daily grind.
Just an idea.
Ginnie
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:25 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Luggage and a late flight out

Day rooms are usually the easiest solution to this problem. I've used them in Europe quite often. For some reason Europeans seem much more attuned to the idea of day rooms than we are.

The day room will probably cost you less than a tour for two, and let's face it, it's only Fort Lauderdale. If you have access to a pool, a beach and a bar you've pretty much done better than you would on a tour.

Most airlines accept baggage four hours before flight time. Check your airline's web site to be sure.
Old July 10th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Passenger

A day-use at a hotel is definately an option. We had stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th Ave. in Ft. Lauderdale pre-cruise and spoke with them about this option. They charge approx. 1/2 the regular rate which was around $65 in May. They also suggested that we could use their shuttle service from the pier, have them store our luggage and just use their pool--this for no charge. We just didn't have access to a shower before we caught our return flight. We cleaned up acceptably in their restroom though.

As far as the airlines question about your luggage being in your possession like they used to, they no longer ask that question. It's just a matter of checking in your luggage to be x-rayed and off you go.

Dana
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Beginner

We are a group of 15 flying back from San Juan on a late flight as well. Don't want to spend the whole day at the airport. Would there be hotels close to the San Juan airport where we could rent a hotel room for the day for luggage, etc.? Then we could probably go into town and take a bus tour, or walking tour, for example.
Princess offers a disenbarkation tour of San Juan but for 15 people it's too expensive!
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:20 AM
First Mate

Wehn I travel on business and I still have to work the Convention Hall on the day I check out of the hotel... I just pick the biggest hotel near the convention center. Walk up to the bellmen and give him my luggage to hold.. get a claim check.. tip him.. and come back and take a taxi from their hotel.. Bellmen don't care if your staying there.. never had one ask... just tip them before and after and their happy.. so pick a hotel near the beach.. and drop your luggage there...

They dont know if you are checking in after 3..or have checked out....many times I will check out of my hotel.. give the bags to bellmen and comeback later before my flight...
When I'm officially no longer a guest...