Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:54 PM
hostess

Default canada out of ny

hi there, we are thinking of carnival victory out of ny in sept, which airport is best to fly into? We are coming from california a day early and want to "SEE New York" any hotel info would be helpful.Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: canada out of ny

We flew into Newark - because it was the cheapest. If you're interested in a bargain I can tell you about a great hotel deal - if you're interested in luxury - better get advice from another poster. Answer back and I'll provide my info. if you like.

Westerdam
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:08 PM
First Mate

I would fly into LaGuardia, but check the rates between Newark and LaGuardia.

We are going to NY from Miami in October for our Celebrity Cruise.

Since I'm doing a three-day pre and post cruise vacation, I went on Priceline and bid on midtown Manhattan rooms. I got the NY Hilton and Towers and the Waldorf Astoria for $125 a night. For midtown Manhattan I thought these were good prices. You might want to check out Priceline..

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:45 AM
daffomom

ditto on checking priceline....that's good for midtown...

We sailed on the Victory last Sept..great trip...we flew out of LaGuardia as we were using frequent flyer miles & had to be on Northwest Airlines...also times that fit our schedule...it was fine....

We we scheduled to arrive in NYC Friday at about 4:30 pm, but the flight was overbooked & we took a bump and arrived at 7:30 PM instead...(we are using our vouchers to fly to San Francisco in 2 weeks for a 12 day cruise to Alaska on the Mercury) As we had hotel reservations...we didn't mind..actually we were hungry and had a nice relaxing lunch as we waited at the airport...

Carnival offers "self-assist" disemarkation.. we had an 11:30 am flight back home...we did carry (roll) our own bags off the ship. There was someone at the taxi area handing out numbers and as a taxi came, she organized getting you one by number..so it was very orderly..about a $30 fare with tolls..we shared a cab with another couple..tight fit..but that way only $15 per couple for the cab...we were at the airport by 9:30 am....

We e-mailed some of the others we met, and they said that it was a nightmare later in the morning, as there were 4 ships that came in and it took 4 hours for them to get 20 miles home....everything was so gridlocked....if you pack with that option in mind, to carry your own bags off..I would do it again in a heartbeat....

The trip was great!

Make sure you go to see the Portland Head lighthouse..it is the most photographed one in the country..we took a trolley tour...didn't book any shore excursions through Carnival...did a trolley tour in Boston also, rented a car in Sydney and also in Halifax..IF you want to rent a car in Halifax...don't wait to do it when you get there....call Budget ahead..we paid $40 through Budget in Sydney and $80 in Halifax with Hertz...they we at the pier and only had 2 cars left....as we drove around, we saw Budget a few blocks away and could have found them if we had done our homework..went out to Peggy's Cove and the Swiss Air Memorial..went to Badek and part of Cabots Trail in Sydney...

Portland has great visitor info when you get off the ship as does Sydney..in Boston and Halifax the tour companies/rental were more agressive....

Have fun!
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM
AR

In the great scheme of things, which airport you fly into is largely irrelevant. Kennedy would probably be the last choice of the three if you're staying downtown, but even that is no big deal. There's a brand new light rail link from the Kennedy terminals to the subway if you're brave. As with most things like this, you should shop price and convenience.

If you're only spending a day in New York you should protect your investment by staying in one of the better NYC hotels, between 6th Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) and 8th Avenue, and between 42nd and 55th Streets. This gives you the best access to most of the things you'll want to see on a first visit, is convenient to all major subway lines, and will minimize wasting time on travel within the city. Oh, and you should plan on getting to the ship relatively late on the day of sailing. You'll be on the ship for a week or more, so there's no sense sitting on it all day on your day of departure when you could be enjoying the one of the great cities of the world. If you're nervous about check-in, do that as early as possible, dump your bags, get your cards, then get back outside and see some more of NY.

Despite all the jokes and dire advice, use the subways if you can. They've been pretty well cleaned up, and they're usually the fastest way to get anyplace. Subway maps are readily available. Don't be afraid.