Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Shirley Brown

Default Problems with Carnival HELP

On 2 April I booked a cruise with Carnival direct, sailing on 29 May, 2 cabins. The reservationist that took my order, quoted me a price, which was acceptable to me. I then a few days later received the invoice and it is for more money than was quoted and my credit card had been billed that amount.
I have for over a week now, daily called the reservationist to clear this up. He does not return my calls.
I have left messages to supervisors that I need to speak to someone at Carnival, no calls are returned.
I have talked to other reservationist, the only people I can get thru too. It seems they are more than willing to take your money with no service at all provided.
At this point I am holding my charge card bill, I have left messages that if my calls are not returned, I will have no option but to cancel this cruise and refuse to pay the bill!
Still no return calls.
We are taking our grandchildren on this trip and we really want to go, just need some answers from someone!
I am not a novice cruiser with 40 plus trips under my belt.
I can tell you though that I will never again book direct with a cruise line and would suggest that no one else does.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom
Default Re: Problems with Carnival HELP

I have never cruised before so probably i'm not the one to respond but i just had a thought. Did the price quoted to you include port charges and taxes?? if not that is probably why the charge is for more than you were quoted. Alot of times the price quoted won't include those charges but they will have to be added in the total bill. Also did they add the extra (optional) insurance charges?? That too may be why the price is different.

Old April 14th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Are you a repeat cruiser with Carnival (or any of her other cruise lines)?
Often you can get more attention for a problem by calling their repeat cruisers club.
How much is the difference? Could it be , as suggested above, that the difference is port charges or taxes or insurance? Sometimes documents will list the "list" price of the cruise. Did you actually verify that this higher amount was in fact the amount charged to your card?
Another tact is to dispute the credit card charge (in writing). They will respond to that .
Good luck
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Admiral

did you get an e-mail confirmation of the rate that was quoted to you? If so then you should have no problems getting it fixed. I would call customer relations and not the reservations dept. Get an actual break down of the charges if you can.
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:53 PM
spaceguy

You do not need to cancel but DO WRITE your credit card company within 60 days and dispute the charge differences in writing. It helps to have proof. Then it will be on Carnival to justify the difference through their bank to your bank.
Old April 14th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Shirley, I think you hit the nail on the head wnen you recommended not to book through the cruise line. With all the cruises you've taken, I'd be very surprised if you hadn't had other such problems in the past if you've been booking that way. I booked with a cruise line only once, long ago, and it convinced me to use travel agents from that point on.

I've never been seriously disappointed since then, even though some TAs are (of course) better than others. But IMHO they're all better than the reservations agents at the cruise lines. And the travel agents' prices are generally better too!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Shirley,
I also have to agree with Jack, use a travel agent the next time. When using a travel agent, at least you can call or e-mail them and get any concerns or problems taken care of right away. Hope you get to the bottom of the price difference.....

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:26 PM
First Mate

I personally do not agree with going through a travel agent. Carnival offers the rock bottom best prices and they will beat any price you bring to them.

I have always had great service and I always go through Charlene
Now, that having been said, I suggest the following. Contact the Guest Relations department, 800-929-6400, fax 305-406-4718, email grelations@carnival.com.

Call, fax and email....get thier attention. I have noticed that the rates fluctaute quite a bit so that may have been the reason for the discrepancie, but still, I think Carnival will be willing to work with you. I had a problem last year, and they were really helpful, but I had to talk with the correct person.

Let me know how it turns out.
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Even if someone thinks it's true that Carnival gives the best prices (which I don't believe is true), they will allow you to book your cruise, then transfer the exact booking to a travel agent, should you find an agent who's willing to book the cruise for less... which again I think wouldn't be difficult to at all.

And, if you happen to be shopping for a cruise, and find a price that's less than Carnival is offering it for on their web site, I really don't think they would match that price.

The vast majority of Carnival's business is booked by travel agents. They aren't about to set out and undercut them, simply because it would harm their business.

Renaissance cruise lines tried that once, and they're no longer in business.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:44 PM
First Mate

I booked my last 3 cruises with Carnival directly and so far haven't had a problem. BUT, I don't understand how this could have happen. That rep should have quoted you the price then took your credit card info and then said please hold while I bill your credit card for the amount of XXX dollars. THEN, should have emailed or faxed you a confirmation immediatly. Of course the first thing that's going to be asked is if you have the reps name and extention #. Good Luck with this. Please let us know the dollar amount difference they charged you.

Old April 14th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Passenger

I have been on three Carnival Cruises with another booked in a couple of weeks. I have always booked through Carnival and have used the same PVP the last couple of times. I always check the prices elsewhere, the internet and travel agents then I contact my PVP and he always comes in with a better deal. I think it really depends on who you talk to at the cruiselines, but when you find one who is exceptional, make sure you hold onto the name and number!
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Admiral

With all the cruises you have done I can't believe the extra charges are taxes, port fees, or insurance; and you not know that. I suspect you were quoted a price and by the time the reservationist booked it for you the price had increased.

Now I don't know how you can prove you were quoted x and charged x+............good luck.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:08 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Problems with Carnival HELP

As suggested above I wouldn't stop untill I spoke to somebody in charge to see if you can get to the bottom of it. Don't quote me on this but for some reason I think that all calls are monitored so maybe you might have some recourse that way.
O/T As you can see I have been on many Carnival cruises. Years ago I would say that T/A always seem to have better prices then the cruiselines. One of the reasons why I believe was when a T/A got a reservation they would book it as a group and then sell off the remaining cabins as everyone used them to book their cruise. Today with the internet and Carnival making it known that you can book directly through them more people are going that way. I have used my Carnival PVP the last 5 times and she has ALWAYS had the better price and trust me I shop around with big companys and the mom and pop T/A and she tells me if I find that cruise cheaper to call her back and she will get me that price. Thats why I'm always on the computer looking for it cheaper.<G>If anyone needs her name email me, shes great.

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:57 PM
David Starkey

Dealing direct with the cruiselines can be a problem(I've done 3 or 4 directly) but no more. The TA has more conections than you to get help should you need it.(and you do).
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Shirley Brown

Default Re: Re: Problems with Carnival HELP

A big thank you to all who responded! The price quoted did include tax and port charge, that was not the problem!
No, I did not receive a fax or email for confirmation on the price, and yes it is my word against theirs! Had I to do it all over again, would have requested an email!!
To date no one yet has returned my calls from Carnival.
I did check other companies and a lot on the net and for sure Carnival had the best price, even paying the additional $100.00 that they are charging.
Soooo I have come to terms with it all, and decided to let the charge stand.
Thanks for the email address to customer relations, I will send an email.
I did yesterday talk to another reservationist who was great, went over all the pricing, and has requested an upgrade for all that I have been through. She was great and I have her name and extension number and in the future will use her to book!
It is true that pricing should be the same thru all Travel Agencies, unfortunately it is not!
I will end this with those of you that call Carnival direct to book, and you receive Navaldo, hang up and call again!
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:15 AM
First Mate

Thanks Shirley for the advice. I dealt with Sandy Pilgrim from Carnival ext # 33708 and she was wonderful and she explained my pricing and after taking my CC # she said the amount she was charging and it was the same we agreed on and she emailed me a conformation in minutes for me to review and I did so and found no problems and so anyone who is going to book through any cruise line, I suggest you make them repeat the price to you before giving your CC # and demand a email or fax immediatly. Have a good trip Shirley. I am counting down I have 8 days!!!!