Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:31 AM
TraceyH.

Default Name listing on booking confirmation

My travel agent has listed my name on my booking confirmation as my maiden name and married name, hyphenated (i.e. Smith-Jones). I do not use my maiden name normally, but she convinced me that because I will be using my birth certificate as a form if ID that I needed to do this. No other form of ID I will be using (either a drivers license or possibly a passport) will have my maiden name with my married name. I go strictly by my married name. Will this be a problem when boarding? Should I ask her to change it to just my married name?

Also, do you recommend getting a passport for a Western Carribean cruise, just to be on the safe side? This is our first cruise and I just want to do everything right! Carribean Princess, July 10. Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Name listing on booking confirmation

Hi Tracy,
Personally, I'd get a passport, don't really see a problem with the way the docs are, but if you are using your birth cirtificate as identification, that may be why she did that. If you have a passport it will be in your married name and that would be all you need. You have plenty of time to apply and receive a passport, I'd do some thinking about that.

Here is a link to all the info you'll need to get going:

How to Get a Passport

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:11 AM
TraceyH.

Default Re: Re: Name listing on booking confirmation

Thanks Donna! I saw a passport message on the next page and have just finished printing the passport documents to fill out. Your link was VERY helpful!! So you don't think I should worry about having my hypenated name changed on my booking confirmation? My confirmation also has my married name spelled with a lower case first letter (i.e. Smith-jones.) I hate to be such a nervous nelly, but I don't want to have any problems when I go to get on the ship. Also, does it make a difference in the time it takes to get on the ship if we fill in all the pre-boarding information in the Princess website?
Thanks!
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
First Mate

We're going Western Caribbean in August - and we were told that since our ship goes to Belize - that we must have passports. From what we were told - the law changed on March 1st - and Belize now requires passports. Since our ship docks there, we have to have our passport to get on our ship in Tampa.

Be safe - get the passport.... It's good for 10 years... and I hope to do lots more traveling...(especially cruises) in that timeframe.

Old April 15th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Name listing on booking confirmation

Hi Tracey,
Yes, do fill in all the information on the Princess site, will help speed embarkment along..

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Admiral

If you do not normally use the two names, Smith-Jones, then you should not have it on your documents. Your TA was incorrect in telling you that. You WILL need at least your birth certificate and a government issued photo ID which could be a drivers license. It has been suggested that you carry a copy of your marrage certificate to link your current name with your maiden name but it is well understood that most US people take the husbands name when they marry and I don't know of anyone having a problem with that. It is possible but unless you really tick the Immigration person off I don't see them bothering you. You do not need a passport at this time to CRUISE to Belize or Barbados BUT, you do need one if you stay there more than 24 hrs or try to depart in any other manner other than the cruise ship that brought your there. (Think emergencies) Therfore I do highly encourage a Passport. With a Passport that is the ONLY ID that you need and you get to walk through the express lines when you get off the ship and save as much as an hour getting off at times. It is cheap and the best ID you can ever own and lasts for 10 years.
Jim

Old April 16th, 2004, 12:24 AM
First Mate

Jim is right. I never had an agent or cruise rep tell me they have to put my maiden name with my married name. See your birth certificate and your DL will have your DOB on them and you wouldn't need your Marriage License (unless you are under the age required to board without a parent and married). Especially if you are traveling with your Hubby they are going to see the same last names. I bring my marriage license with me but it's never been asked for.

Old April 16th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Admiral

If this cruise is for your honeymoon cruise, I would just keep your booking name and the name on your passport, both in your maiden name. That's what my daughter did when she got married. Just kept things simpler.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?