Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:40 AM
nuwcruz

Default skyauction.com

Has anyone heard of this company. They work something like ebay, but I can't work out how they can aford to do it. I have seen some cruises for $70 with only a few minutes to go and with lots of dates to choose from. How can they sell so cheap. What is the catch?
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: skyauction.com

Catch is that this does not include taxes and fees and service charge AND even if you 'win' the auction, you may well not get the cruise as they have to try and get someone to sell it to them at that price. You also do not have anyone to help you out should anything go wrong with your reservations, etc. Personally, I don't think they are worth it.
Jim

Old April 30th, 2004, 03:37 PM
First Mate

I did it and have no problem. Jim is wrong about no one to help you. They gave me a phone number and quickly responded to my email questions. Jim is correct on the extra charges. I placed a bid for 117.00 for my cruise and it was accepted. But the total cost was 400.00 per person because the date I chose had a surcharge. I was fully aware of all cost before I submit my final bid. Never hurts to try. You dont have to accept. You also have 72 hours to accept the final bid. Just be careful when you are chosing the dates because of the additional charge at times.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
Jack & Erlinda

Jim is just assuming alot of things about skyauction without having personal experience. We have bought two different cruises with skyauction. Each time we had a real person assigned to our winning bid and they were always accessable. In the auction listings you have all the "extras" listed, so it's your responsiblility to read them and know what your final price will be. I think it's a great company and you can get a fantastic price for some cruises and I'm speaking from personal experience! jack
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: skyauction.com

You are correct Jack. I have no personal experiance with this company. I am going by many reports of dissatisfaction that I have heard about from people that have used them and been dissapointed or felt like they were 'duped'. Based on what I have heard from others both good and bad, I choose not to do business with this company as the complaint ratio is very high. If you like them, wonderful, I hope you continue to have success with them however, I cannot give any positive recommendation for them and feel that based on the number of complaints I have seen that something is amiss.
Jim

Old May 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM
RitaL

i tried skyauction and i think it is great! you get a final price on the confirm page before you really agree the credit card transactions. it is always good to check what the price you can get from TA and be cool on the bidding price rather than going after the other bidders. Just remember, the same cruise packages are always available again even you are outbidded. so you have many chances to win. Overall, it is not a bad place to get cheaper price. many times after all the extra charge, taxes etc. the price will only be $200-300 cheaper. not expect a huge price reduction. Another thing is they don't have bidder a chance to choose their cabins. only have choice in inside/outside or balcony (extra of course for outside/balcony). then the cabin will be assigned as guranteed price.

it's not a bad auction site. i saved $350 on Century W.Caribbean compared to the travelocity.com. of course, don't be picky about specific cabin and floor though.
Old May 9th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: skyauction.com

We recently won on our cruise bid with sky auction. They were very quick to book our reservation and sent several emails with details and answers to all questions were receieved very promptly. It saved us 150.00 each .I checked on alot of other sites as well as with Carnival and no one could beat the price.Would definitely use them again.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:44 PM
RitaL

tnt-- Congratulation!

See?! it is not a bad site for budget travelling.

There are so many new innovations to improve our quality of life. Just need a bit of adventuous open mind.

Happy Cruising!