Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:28 PM
LauriA

Default Are there restrictions cruising during pregnancy?

I read something on this web site stating that cruise lines won't allow you to cruise if you are past 27 weeks pregnant? Is that true? I will be on a Royal Caribbean cruise at the end of this month. I will be 27 weeks pregnant during the cruise. Will that be a problem? Will I be restricted from any of the excursions? (excluding scuba diving, or anything physical or risky) Thanks

Lauri
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:46 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Are there restrictions cruising during pregnancy?

I found the below in Carnival's contract. I would assume other cruise lines would have the same or similar terms.

(b) Carnival and the Master each reserves the right to refuse passage, disembark or confine to a stateroom any Guest whose physical or mental condition, or behavior would be considered in the sole opinion of the Captain and/or the ship's physician to constitute a risk to the Guest's own well-being or that of any other Guest or crew member. Passengers who will enter their third trimester(twenty seventh week) of pregnancy by the time of the voyage and infants less than four months old shall not be permitted to board the vessel. Carnival and the Master reserve the right to disembark any guest whose behavior affects the comfort, enjoyment, safety or well being of other guests or of any crew.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:34 PM
LauriA

Default Re: Re: Are there restrictions cruising during pregnancy?

Thanks for the information. You prompted me to go and look at my contract and read all of the fine print! It does state that if you are not able to go on the cruise if you are entering the 27th week. Thank you so much for responding. I wouldn't have read the fine print if you wouldn't have brought that up. I would have been upset if I would have tried to get on the ship and was told that I couldn't. I think that I miscalculated my due date--all of a sudden I think that I will be 26 weeks when I go on the cruise! Hopefully, they will believe me considering I look like I am due next week! (my fifth child)
Thanks again!

Lauri
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Fifth child?? Girl, you NEED a cruise!! hee hee

Happy Cruising! (and pushing!)

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:29 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

The reason cruise ships don't allow pregnant women after 26 weeks is because they are not equiped to handle a delivery, especially an early delivery. I wouldn't think it would be wise to take that chance. But...thats just my opinion....and after 4 kids, I would imagine you know your body better than me. :-)

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Lori Walston

Laurie M. is correct in that ships are not equipped to handle a delivery (or for that matter, a medical emergency pertaining to a pregnancy). While heading for the Mexican Riviera on the Elation in April 2000, the Captain announced at 10:00 p.m. Monday night that he was turning our ship around and heading back to California because of a medical emergency. By Tuesday afternoon we were within 250 miles of San Diego and the U.S. Coast Guard came out to airlift a woman. Turns out she was in the midst of her pregnancy and was at risk of losing her baby. Never heard how things turned out for her, but I'll never forget how badly I felt for her.