Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Default No passport - birth certificate & drivers license don't

We are sailing in 2 weeks. My son's girlfriend has her birth certificate which is the same as the name she is booked under BUT her drivers license is her married name from a previous marriage. She can't locate her divorce papers and they won't change the name on her D/L here in AZ without it - not even back to her maiden/birth name.

Is this going to be a serious problem with Customs?

Please help.

Kathy
Sailing on Carnival Pride 5/23 to Mexican Riviera
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: No passport - birth certificate & drivers license do

Can she find her marrage license? It may not be a problem as they understand that females customarily change their last name when they marry in the USA but they could ask for an explaination.
Jim

Old May 8th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Admiral

You must understand that, as things stand at this time, Carnival might deny her passage. I've seen it happen one time before. I would call the cruise line if I were she, and ask for their advice. They might accept an affidavit explaining the circumstances.

With all of the security requirements currently in place, having a photo ID with a name that doesn't match any of her other documentation could very well keep her off the ship. Call Carnival and get this straightened out before proceeding to the port. Times a-wastin'!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old May 9th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: No passport - birth certificate & drivers licens

Thank you. I will call Carnival right away. I talked to her today and she tells me that her Birth Certificate and Social Security match (which is the name her cabin is booked under) and although her drivers license has her married name on it the actual Driver's license Number is also her Social Security number - very common practice in AZ. I hope this will work.

Thanks
Kathy
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Admiral

my birth certificate any my name on my driver's license do not match, i am married and i took my husband's name when we married. Most customs agents understand this and its really not an issue. If she can find a copy of her marriage license that would make things so much easier. I haven't had the need to bring my marriage certificate and we cruised Feb 04. I am however getting my passport in the near future.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Admiral

We sailed in Feb 2003 and I had my drivers license and BC which didn't match due to marriage. I just brought along my marriage license just in case but nobody even questioned the name difference in customs. But it is better to bring it then not to.

We got our passports this year and that was much smoother on our cruise this past March....

Old May 10th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Yeoman

I have taken my marriage license on our cruises also just in case, they have never asked to see it. But I had it with me to show if they asked.

Luanne

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just applied for passports. It seems that soon everyone will be needing one.
On the application it stated that if you were willing to spend the extra money, you could get a passport in less than a week.

Pick up the State Dept. web site. Check it out. Maybe that would help.