Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:58 AM
J & V

Default Upgrade Lesson-Learned the Hard Way!

Well, maybe I am the only one that didn't know this but if I can help one other person avoid this very disappointing situation, I might can feel a little better.

Several months ago I booked our cruise through an online agency on the Carnival Jubilee for May 15th. I carefully chose our cabin, E88, because I was born with a cripple foot and can not walk alot. My choice of the Empress deck was very important to keep the walking to a minimum. Well, a few weeks ago a rep from the online agency called and told my husband that we were entitled to an upgrade to an oceanview cabin!!!! (Actually, I've had both on past cruises and decided that inside would be fine because we are really not in the cabin that much anyway and location of the cabin is the most important factor for me) Well, we took this "upgrade" and with great anticipation and thinking how would anyone in their right mind turn down such a great thing????

With help from a post on this board by TrinaLC I was able to find our "new, great, wonderful, upgraded oceanview" cabin. Well, our new, great, wonderful "upgraded oceanview cabin" is M66. When I first saw that it was on Main Deck, I was concerned but then when I went to the Carnival website and saw where the cabin actually is, I could have cried. I have been soooo excited about this trip and soooo looking forward to it. This cabin is right outside the elevators and stair and very close to the information desk/pursor's desk.

I called the online agency to express my dissappointment, could not communicate with the rep and after explaining the situation and expressing how I did not in any way consider this as an "upgrade", the rep says, "Vell, vhat do you vant me to do about it?"
I told her that I wanted my originally room back (now really, even I know the chances of that at this late date). So, she put me on hold to call the cruiseline to see about my original room. Is it me? or does it seem likely that she actually went for a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette or do her nails?

Well, she comes back and says that that room has already been booked (oh, surprise, surprise) and that the only cabin available on that deck is a gty .

Now, here comes the lesson, finally. Then she explained to me (in a not-so-friendly tone), that we should have asked what cabin we were getting and that we should have never taken the "upgrade" without asking questions and about had me convinced it was all my fault!

Sorry this is so long. I would have never ever thought that an "upgrade" from an inside cabin on the Empress deck would be to a porthole (yes, porthole) cabin on the main deck situated right in the middle of all the noise and confusion. I personally think that cabin would be one of the worst cabins on the entire ship!

Maybe there are 2 lessons learned here. Yes, they are completely right about the word, "assume" and when offered an upgrade, be sure to ask questions.

I'm not looking for sympathy or need a lecture about how I should have known. I got the latter from the agency. I am sure that we will go and have a wonderful time and not let this spoil our trip but the joy and excitement has now been replaced with worriesome anticipation.

I sincerely hope that I have kept anyone else from dealing with this.

Thanks for bearing with me and listening to my situation.
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Upgrade Lesson-Learned the Hard Way!

You may be pleasently surprised to find the cabin to not be in such a bad location.
Our friends recently returned from a cruise and related their cabin to be in a similar place . They found it to be no more noisy or crowded than any other they have had and found that since they are getting older the centrally located cabin was very convenient for them.
The port hole will at least give you a perspective of day and night.
Deep breath, make the most of it and most of all enjoy your cruise.
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:29 PM
AR

Sounds like it's in an ideal location to minimize walking, which was your stated goal. I've been near the elevators a number of times and never noticed any particular difference, except a reduction in the walking.

This too shall pass.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I've had cabins very close to elevators and public areas and really, they are not more noisy, the traffic volume is not higher and the convenience of being so close to everything was wonderful! I think you might be very pleased with this upgrade once you see how quiet it really can be and how much closer to things you probably will be.

But you are right - always ask where the upgrade is; because after you take it your original cabin is released back into inventory to be sold and may not be recoverable.

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:03 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Ditto on AR's comments. Being close to the elevators sounds like it would be blessing for you. There may be a bit of extra noise at the busy times (right before dinner times, etc), but I am willing to be this will be much easier on your foot condition than your previous cabin booking.
In hotels, I love being close to the elevator and I always end up at the opposite of the hall.

No worries - I am sure you will discover this to not be as huge of an issue as you think it might be. You may even find out it truely is an upgrade and appreciate it.

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'll also have to agree with the others, being close to the elevators will be a plus for you and you also now have a porthole, which I think is much better than an inside cabin too. Hopefully, you'll be fine in this cabin and enjoy not having a long walk to the elevators. Please post again when you return and let us know how it went, have fun and don't stress about the cabin, you may end up loving it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:36 AM
J & V

Default Re: Re: Upgrade Lesson-Learned the Hard Way!

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. I am determined to have a positive attitude about this and to have a great time.

Guess "not having to walk too far" meant I'd be closer to the food and drinks. heehee

You are all great. Thanks again.