CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   dining etiquette (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/243578-dining-etiquette.html)

tammar May 12th, 2004 12:58 PM

dining etiquette

I have a question. When someone is assigned a table for six or eight would it be considered rude if you want to go right to the entree and skip appetizer, soup and salad?

Can you ask the waiter to bring your entree while the others are eating their appitizer?
Do you have to wait while everyone else at the table eats all the courses.

We have been assigned a very late seating at 8:30, if we eat all those courses we won't be done until 10. We want to do the right thing and not be rude.

Can anyone tell me what the right thing to do is, so as not to annoy our table mates.

Jim Bragg May 12th, 2004 01:10 PM

Re: dining etiquette

Not only would it be considered impolite, they don;t do it. Dinner is served in a manner where it comes in courses as that is how the waiter picks it up. If you did not order that course, you just wait until the others have completed it. The entrees are all served at the same time. If you are concerned about the time, (usually an hour to hour and a half spent at dinner), then request an earlier seating.
Jim

LisaK May 12th, 2004 01:43 PM

as Jim has stated, the cruise lines just don't do that in Traditional dining. The dining is leisurely but not spaced out, you are not waiting and waiting for your next course-- you will be amazed at how the time flyes and how much you enjoy your entire meal and how relaxed you are.

venice May 12th, 2004 03:15 PM

good question and I commend you for trying to be thoughtful of your table mates. One of the neat things about dining on a cruise ship is to try "different" things (you never know what you might like), so if you're not really into appetizers and salads, you might ask your waiter if you can share with your spouse each of the courses (they can cut the portion for you prior to serving) and if you don't like it you don't have to eat it, but you would not appear to be disrespectful to your other tablemates (or wasting to much food)

You do not indicate which line/ship you are on, but most cruise lines are leaning towards "personal choice" dining which gives you more options on when, what and with whom you dine with

If this is your first cruise, the dining experience is a key part of your cruise. Enjoy the sharing of experiences with your table mates and most important, enjoy the luxury of leisure time and company without the pressures of every day life.

In Europe, they don't rush eating, they savor it

Cruz Crazy May 12th, 2004 03:26 PM

Just go for some light appetizers or cold soups. If you like shrimp cocktails, they only give you about 4-5 small ones.

I usually skip the bread and drink only water as not to fill up.

The portions are not mega size, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Most ships also have a light-fare for people who don't want to eat that much late at night.

trish1c May 12th, 2004 04:53 PM

It's not rude to only eat what you want. I don't have a big appetite & often skip courses. It will be considered rude to ask to have your entree served while others are still eating earlier courses.

As other posters have said the waiters won't serve you out of order. However, they will serve you 1 or more appetizers as an entree if that is your perference. I also convinced one to serve me a smaller size of a main pasta course as an appetizer once.

The dining times are scheduled so you won't miss anything. If 8:30 is too late for you to dine, when you board, go to the maitre'd that day, as soon as possible, & ask to be switched to the early seating.

tammar May 12th, 2004 05:55 PM

Thank you everyone. We've been on several cruises, but we usually eat by ourselves.
I have been plagued with kidney stones and the less food I eat the better. Of course, after they tell you what you can't eat, there is not much left anyone. We will be on the Zuiderdam this August and looking forward to a table of fun people. I'll just keep drinking everyone else's water, lol.

trish1c May 13th, 2004 04:32 PM

Tammar --

Don't worry -- you're assistant waiter will make sure your water glass is always full.

Feel better & happy sailing.