Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Luvjoy1948
Default Cost for children

How much does it cost for a 3 year old going on a cruise with her parents or grandmother? Haven't seen this listed. Rather new at this. Trying to plan my next cruise. Thanks. Toni

Carnival Ship - Holiday

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Cost for children

Depends on the cruise. The one we just went on my son was the third in the room and his cruise was $150 cheaper than the rest of us. Last year he was $110 cheaper (again 3rd in the room). The first two in the room are the listed price and there is usually a break for the 3rd and 4th person in the room.
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

They don't have "children's prices", just special pricing for the 3rd and 4th person in a room. On my June 26 cruise, it is approx $1200 for the first 2 people and $800 for the 3rd in the same cabin. My sister is bringing her 7 month old along, and she must pay the full 3rd person price $800 for her.

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Luvjoy1948

Thanks for the information. I can't believe they do not have special rates for very young children - they do not take up half the room or anything. Thanks again. Toni

Carnival Ship - Holiday

Old May 13th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Sheree Daley

I was also surprised about kids tickets. My almost 3 year old eats like a mouse and doesn't take up much space. I was surprised to pay half the adult price for him. Oh well, it is going to be well worth it.

Sheree
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Well......even a 3 year old takes up a bed.

And it's not so much the quantity of the food, but the same amount of time (and maybe more since many children order "special" dishes they are willing to eat) is needed to prepare their meails.

A room steward probably has a harder time, in my book, cleaning up after children than adults - or at least MY child! But then again, he's a 13 year old mess. (But I love him to death!).

And then there's the children's programs for which you are not charged extra. On a cruiseline that works to provide a quality program for kids, you are really getting your money's worth IMHO.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Sheree Daley

Dorothy,

Point well taken. I should know better, I do a lot more clean up and laundry than I did before child, and of course spend more money too. Thanks for pointing those things out. Just goes to show that there is a reason for everything. The cost is worth a great time.

Sheree
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Admiral

On Carnival we got a better deal for our daughter (she's 10) as 3rd person then on our upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise in Feb 2005....

Carnival she was like 1/2 price and RCCL she was like 150 less then our fare.

It depends upon the cruiseline. Best thing is to price some online on various websites to compare.

Old May 14th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Admiral

I can understand paying for kids... but $800 for a 7 month old ? thats steep !! its too young for camp, will probably be drinking only formula (parent provided) - ouch, that would hurt my pocket book.... just put the baby in a carry on.... (KIDDING)
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have found that the cost for kids can sometimes be "negotiable", believe it or not. Celebrity agreed that the cost to them for my children (in a less expensive cabin) didn't change if we upgraded to a more expensive cabin... we got their fares at the lower rate for 3rd/4th passengers ($399 instead of $899 in our suite). It helps to have an great TA, too.

So, check for the lowest 3rd/4th rate on your cruise and see if you can negotiate that rate for your cabin category. It's certainly worth a try... and it saved us $1,000!.