Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to MP
Default family reunion on a cruise???

We have a family of 36 first cousins- all over the US- trying for a reunion in summer 2005. Probably looking at 50 people, 40 y/o to 60's some with teenage kids- others with grown kids.

Have thought about Vegas? dude ranch? what about a cruise??

anyone have any pros or cons? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: family reunion on a cruise???

MP: I'm in the process of planning a family reunion on a cruise myself. I think this a great idea! Ours will be on Mariner of the Seas. I think the Voyager Class ship has so much to offer so many that it is the perfect choice. I'm sending my letters out this weekend...so I'm not sure how much interest there will be. So far we have 5 cabins booked....I'm hoping for many more. Keep us posted.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to eclipsegtf10mch Send a message via MSN to eclipsegtf10mch

a family on my thanksgiving cruise did that...they seemed to be enjoying themselves throughout the entire cruise

Old May 14th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Why OF COURSE a cruise is perfect. I organized a family group of 21 ranging in age from 17 to 81. Over half of the group were first time cruisers, and a bit skeptical. They ALL loved it and kept telling me over and over, Thank you, this was a great idea.

The most difficult part was trying to choose a time when most or all would be able to go. You just have to pick a date, get some of the family booked, and wait for the others to join in. Try to make the embarkation port convenient for the majority.

Good luck!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old May 14th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'll have to agree, cruising is perfect for a family reunion. Of course you'd need to pick a ship thats good for all those ages, and Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships are great for cruising with families/kids...Definitely something to consider...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

A cruise is perfect for a reunion! Just think... no cabs or rental cars, no dividing dinner checks, no trying to find something to do, no sharing bathrooms, no trying to agree on a restaurant that will hold all of you... it's all taken care of! I can't imagine a better way to "do" a large family reunion. Pick a date/cruise and send out invitations! Check into getting a discount for group bookings, too.

My son's class is planning a cruise as a "Senior Trip"... guess who volunteered to go as a chaperone??? ME!
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Admiral

We had our family reunion on a ship last summer and it was the best idea. Everyone could go about the ship and do their own thing and then we all gathered for dinner.

I offer these suggestions:

1) pick a date and a ship then stick to it. I was about to go nuts and give up, trying to arrange dates and embarkation ports to satisfy everyone. It was a nightmare.

2) Once you have the date and ship, turn the booking over to a travel agent. Let all the questions flow to him/her.

You'll be glad you did.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Admiral

and with that many if you use a Travel Agent you will be able to get a group rate, and you as the official organizer just might get your cabin for free. I would contact a local TA who specializes in cruises, sit down with them and tell them what you would like to do and have them do all the leg-work for you.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to MP

Thank you for all the replies. I think it's the best way to go- just have to convince enough folks. I was thinking a departure from New Orleans might be least expensive (averaged) all the way around for air transportation from all over the US to one destination. (people in Florida, California, Washington state, Arizona, Washington DC, Missouri, and overseas) I think a 4-5 nite cruise sounds best- time to really relax and explore.
Plus- I like the suggestion of setting the dates/ship and let a travel agent handle it from there. How large does a group have to be to be eligible for a discount?
It's going to be hard to wait till June 2005!