CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Seven Day Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/243628-seven-day-cruises.html)

Marc May 19th, 2004 05:33 PM

Seven Day Cruises

Question about seven day cruises. Is it worthwhile to actually unpack everything? Seems so short that it might be better to live out of the suitcase. Any advice one way or the other?

thanks,
marc

Y2C May 19th, 2004 06:11 PM

Re: Seven Day Cruises

Hello Marc,

I agree 7 day cruises do seem short.

We always unpack, hate living out of a suitcase and after awhile the clothes are all wrinkled up. Then you have the suitcase in the middle of the cabin or having to pull it out from the bed or closet everytime you need something.
But it does go fast to pack prior to disembarkation.

LindaE May 19th, 2004 06:13 PM

There isn't room to not unpack. Everything is packed into a small area, so you have to be really neat and put everything in its place.

Donna May 19th, 2004 07:33 PM

I always unpack and put the dirty clothes in the luggage, just makes it easier and only takes minutes to unpack and pack again, no big deal.

Stacy May 19th, 2004 08:45 PM

Unpack. It will make life much easier because there really isn't a good place to leave your suitcase except under the bed. You'll have to fight with the bedspread every time you need something! I don't throw my dirty clothes in my suitcase because I usually end up with things I just didn't wear and are still clean. I use plastic shopping bags for my laundry and leave it in the closet. But, once I've worn something or decided not to wear an outfit at all (because we ate in the cabin instead of the dining room for instance) and I know I won't need it again, I pack it... like a gown or a dress or those extra shorts and tshirts. If I know I'm done with it, it goes into the suitcase. Same with accessories, shoes and purchases I make. By the end of the cruise I'm more than half packed! Packing to go home is easy... no decisions to make because it all has to go in!

steph_texas May 19th, 2004 08:51 PM

we bought pop-up hampers from Walgreens & then put draw string "stuff bags" inside them... our laundry was all in a bag ready to go in the case... we also had 2 dress/suit bags... after formal night we rolled one of them into our suitcase as we didnt care if the dirty stuff got wrinkled... just going to cleaners, etc.... It worked out great for us cause it lightened our load tremendously... but I kept having to remind myself where that missing bag was... if only you could just show up... no packing, no unpacking... life would be soooo much easier & nicer !!

TERRY C May 20th, 2004 06:16 AM

Re: Re: Seven Day Cruises

All this talk of unpacking. I have been packing for 2 weeks and
know i have over packed. I'm glad i'm packing and not unpacking yet lol.
1 more day to go!!!
Have a great day.

fasteddie May 20th, 2004 08:09 AM

Bon Voyage, Terry. Have a great time!

Ed

LisaK May 20th, 2004 08:50 AM

its so much easier to hang your clothes up, and put some things in the drawers as opposed to dragging out the suitcase and flipping through everything to find what you are looking for.

JLKoag May 20th, 2004 06:23 PM

I LOVE unpacking - it means you are going to be there for awhile, even if only 7 days.

Thomas May 20th, 2004 06:31 PM

Unpack????? What the heck is that? When I walk into the room I just open up the suitcase and with one big whirlybird just sling that sucker and all it's contents around the room. Throw the bag under the bed and grab whatever I feel like wearing off the lamp.

Regards,
Thomas

cruisinKandJ. May 20th, 2004 07:48 PM

Thomas, funny! Definitely unpack, though. Much easier all the way around, and you treat your clothes better that way, too.

J.

Cruz Crazy May 21st, 2004 03:12 PM

After you do laundry at home do you just pick the clean clothes out of the laundry basket and where them? or do you hang them up?

I'm a bit neurotic, I have to hang up everything and match top with bottoms, etc.

If it's easier, pack your clothes on the hangers and just pluck them from the suitcase and rehang them in the cabin closet. Saves time.

I can't wait to get rid of the suitcases. If I had them in the cabin I would have a broken leg by the end of the cruise because I tripped on them in the middle of the night going tee-tee (too many martinis and too old of a bladder).

My hubby would do the Thomas thing...yikes...that's why I do the packing and unpacking. When we get on the ship I send him off exploring and I unpack. He's in charge of putting them under the bed.

Have a great cruise!

Dorothy May 21st, 2004 09:03 PM

Thomas, try that again and I'll bet Mrs. Thomas will pick up that same lamp and whack you over the head.....

dorothy

Marc May 21st, 2004 09:07 PM

Okay, I give up. Was Y2C the only one to cut through the sarcasm?

Wolfie May 23rd, 2004 07:35 AM

Was wondering if there will be plenty of hangers for clothes or should we bring extras. And also are the closets of adequate size?

Thanks,
Wolfie

Donna May 23rd, 2004 02:52 PM

Re: Re: Seven Day Cruises

Hi Wolfie,
Yes, there are plenty of hangers, but if not, just ask your cabin attendant and he/she will be happy to get you all you need. We also pack a garment bag, so all those clothes have the hangers from home, so its simple to hang them up right from the bag and back again at the end of the cruise.

E.Maria May 23rd, 2004 03:33 PM

I would recomend bring extra hangers just in case. I was glad i did on my cruise because there were not enough in the closet and my husband and i like to have all our clothes hung up.

Donna S May 26th, 2004 04:59 PM

We use a cleaners that hangs the clothes on two different types of hangers depending on clothing style. One is a basic plastic hanger for shirts, jackets, dresses etc. The other is the clip type for hanging skirts, shorts, pants. Both styles are very light, very thin and the best hangers I have ever used for traveling. If they break or I loose them so what. In fact, if I left them it would not matter. I hang all my clothes on hangers so that when I arrive unpacking is very fast. I also group style of clothes together. The more organized I am the easier it is to pack and unpack. My husband has all the shirts that he wants to take with and normally sends to the cleaners folded. I like the idea about the stuff bags. We have used large garbage bags for laundry and I really don't like them. I went on a HAL cruise and the laundry room was just a couple of cabins away. I would throw a load in, take a shower and then put the clothes in the dryer. I came home with almost all clean clothes. Just my dress clothes had to go to the cleaners. It was great. Going on Carribean Princes July 17th. Ship has no self-service laundry. Have to be even more organized about what I take. I know I am probably rattling on. Hope some of this helps.
Donna S