Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:16 PM
wench1010

Default snorkeling

my husband and i are going to be on the brilliance on 3 jan 05 and would like to know do they teach snorkeling right on the ship. we are interested but have never been. we did follow the board advice and went and bought our own equipment for sanitary reasons. also if anyone elese is going to be on this cruise let us know.
thanks so much for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: snorkeling

Hi Wench,
Yes, you'll get the basic instruction either before your excursion or during it, and they always have staff there to help you out. It just take a little time to get the hang of it, especially breathing through your mouth, but once you do that, its a lot of fun.

Where are you doing an snorkeling excursion?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Snorkeling is easy once you learn to relax and breathe normally. At first, it felt like I couldn't get enough air through the snorkel. Once I calmed down and just floated gently, thanks to the float vest, I became totally comfortable breathing. Just give it time and all will be fine! Maybe try it in the bathtub at home first to get used to the feeling rather than trying to do it on the spot.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Admiral

you usually get basic instructions during your excursion. The dive master will ask if anyone need instructions. On the ship they sometimes do a basic pool instruction if you book a beginners excursion with the ship.
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:50 PM
wench1010

Default Re: Re: snorkeling

donna,
we have not decided yet but our islands are as follows
miami
san juan
charlotte amalie
st johns
st lucia
st maarten
labadee
miami
we can't wait. thanks everyone for the info.
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:34 AM
Admiral

I was on the Brilliance in Feb. this year with the same itinerary. I don't recall seeing snorkeling lessons offered. I agree with the posts above though, all excursions will offer intructions to those in need.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 1st, 2004, 05:08 PM
wench1010

thanks mark. this helps alot in knowing that i will have more time on the ship to do other things. how was your cruise? great i hope.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
trish1c

Wench1010 -- if you have someplace to swim this summer -- pool, lake, etc., try practicing at home. I assume you know how to swim. The trick is breathing through the snorkel -- it just takes practice. Many Y's offer lessons if that's an option.
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Cruiaingal

Where do you buy snorkeling equipment prior to cruising? The sanitary issue is a must to me!
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Target, sporting goods stores. Wait until Fall and it'll be tougher but the sproting goods stores should still have them. I even found fins at Marshall's for $4! You can spend a lot or a little depending on how much you think you'll use them. Just make sure the mask fits your face (which is hard when it's in a package, frankly). My mask/snorkel is "endorsed" by Jacques Coustou (sp) and still cost only about $30. It doesn't have the one way valve on top so you can dive without water going in but it does have the snorkel that makes it harder for waves to force water in which is a more likely situation for me as I float on my stomach.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:00 PM
wench1010

i got mine at Sam's Club. it came with the snorkel,mask,and fins all for $25. the brand is body glove which is pretty reputable. in any case you should be able to find them any where this time of year. good luck
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:33 AM
trish1c

We got ours at Sam's club too at an end of season sail. We bought $100 equipment for $36.
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

Yes, I agree. YOu can just practice at home and you'll do just fine. I don't think you need lessons. Now Scuba, that's different.
I'm afraid of the ocean and we went snorkeling for the first time many years ago. Once you get in the water, relax and see all the beautiful stuff under water, you'll be hooked! I couldn't believe all my fears just left.
After that, we bought our own equipment and always bring it with us in a large duffle bag when we cruise. I don't want to use the same equipment as a thousand other people use.
YOu can check out Costco if you don't have a Sam's club as well. Any sporting goods store will have them. Just don't pay a lot of them. 25.00-35.00 is plenty.

So just practice at home before you go and you'll be just fine. Just takes minutes if you can learn to relax. It's great!!!

Have a great time!
Old June 13th, 2004, 06:53 PM
ESS

My wife was quite worried about snorkeling. She didn't want to stick her head in the water and breath through a tube. Now when we arrive at a snorkeling beach - in she goes without a second thought!
I agree with purchasing one's own equipment. I have mentioned a number of times how I am amazed that people who spend thousands for a cruise, refuse to spend the 50 bucks for a good snorkel set. We bought ours in a Target for half price. The Target was in Great Falls, Montana - why they sold snorkel equipment there is a mystery to me. But it was a top of the line US Divers mask - and no sales tax.
By the way - a snorkel vest is a must for weak swimmers, and a nice addition for stronger swimmers. A snorkel vest is quite portable, and easily fits in your suitcase.
My wife feels more comfortable wearing her snorkel vest. I don't need one - as I swim a few miles per week, but it enables one to float over coral and fish easier. This equipment can be used over and over again - certainly a worthwhile inexpensive purchase! We will be using our equipment for our fifth seperate vacation when we cruise to Mexico this winter