Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:44 PM
adrienne

Default How to Book Hyatt specifically on Priceline?????

I have tried to book the Hyatt Regency in Miami before our cruise on Nov. 28 and have never done this before. Is there a specific price I have to put in so that I can be guaranteed only that hotel and not the others???? I am afraid I will get another one. I would appreciate some advice.

thanks so much
adrienne
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How to Book Hyatt specifically on Priceline?????

go to www.biddingfortravel.com for some great tips.
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can't get a specific hotel. That's why it's so cheap. The best you can do is target a certain location zone and hope for the best. biddingfortravel will give you an idea of the other hotels you may get, typical bids that win and strategies for rebidding without waiting the 72 hours. I had hoped to get the Hyatt again for this cruise (I got it for my last cruise last fall thru Priceline for $35). I bid again for a 3 star/Downtown Miami and my bid was rejected. I could have rebid by adding another zone that doesn't have 3 star hotels but instead I added South Beach because it would be great for me to stay there and I really didn't think I could get a South Beach hotel that cheap. I raised my bid to $38 and actually did get the Holiday Inn in South Beach and am glad because it's on the beach and a block from a good dance club. For after the cruise, I also used Priceline to get a nicer hotel in South Beach for a couple nights. I knew from biddingfortravel that some 4 star hotels were going for $80 a night so that's what I bid. I got the Crown Plaza Royal Palm Resort in the heart of South Beach on the oceanfront. Priceline is for people willing to take a chance to get a very good deal. That's the tradeoff and I haven't been disappointed yet. Good luck!

Post Edited (06-05-04 15:37)

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old June 5th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

If you have your heart set on a certain hotel, Priceline may NOT be the way to go. Besides biddingfortravel.com, try http://www.biddingfun.com

Old June 5th, 2004, 12:56 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Did the Hyatt Regency DT Miami 11/02. Are you really sure this is the hotel you want. It is old and certainly way below the quality of any other Hyatt, let alone a Regency, I have ever stayed at. It is in the business district w/ nothing in the way stores or resturants open on weekends. Only high priced hotel dine rooms for eating choices.
Old June 5th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

You cannot "guarantee" you will get a particular hotel when using Priceline, although everyone seems to be winning the Hyatt Regency the last few weeks. When you place a bid on Priceline, you tell them what quality you want (1*,2*,3*,4*), and the price you are willing to pay (not including taxes and Priceline's $7.00 fee).

You may also want to look at the biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com forums. Each forum has sections broken down by geographic region where people post their winning bids, and the names of the hotels awarded to them. This will give you an idea of what hotels are being sold through Priceline, and the amount of the winning bids. On both forums, within each section, is a list that advises which hotels were won at each star rating. These lists are not inclusive, as Priceline can add hotels and/or change the star rating of a particular hotel.

Having reviewed the lists, the following hotels have come up in the Miami Downtown area:
4* - Intercontinental
3* - Hyatt Regency, Sheraton Biscayne Bay, Marriott Biscayne Bay, Radisson Downtown Miami, Doubletree Biscayne Bay

Last week I bid $38 per night for a 3* hotel for 2 nights over Labor Day Weekend for a pre-cruise. The total amount charged to my credit card including taxes and fees was $92.98. (This includes $76 for the room for 2 nights, and $16.98 taxes/fees.)

While I was lucky enough to get the Hyatt, I would have been comfortable staying in any of the other listed 3* hotel (or non-listed hotel in the area of similar quality). If you absolutely have to stay at the Hyatt though, you are better off booking through another source. BTW, the cheapest rates I found at the Hyatt for my particular dates were $119/night pre-paid thru Expedia. Personally, I think the savings you get when booking through Priceline is worth the inconvenience of not knowing which hotel you will be staying at until your credit card is charged.

To improve your chances of getting the Hyatt, make sure you select a 3* hotel, and have only the "Downtown" section checked when you make your bid via Priceline. By the way, someone else bid $35 earlier in the day at another computer and it was rejected. Because of that, I made sure I upped the amount to $38 when I submitted my winning bid.

In addition please keep in mind that hotels use Priceline to sell their EXCESS inventory. It is not unusual to bid for a hotel, have your bid rejected, and win the hotel at the same bid amount a month or two later. Just book a fully cancelable backup hotel until your Priceline bid goes through.

Hope this helps!
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Yeoman

I have been using Priceline for about 4 years now. I have never been disappointed with any hotel. I start months ahead of time, and keep trying till I get the area I want. The most I have ever paid for a Priceline hotel is $65. and that is for St Louis (STL has very limited # of rooms downtown-esp. during baseball or football game days). Average price I have paid is about $38. I NEVER book below a 3 star.

Every hotel I have booked this way has been at or above my expectations. I have even managed to get hotel rooms this way after the hotel reservations desk has told me they were sold out!

Good Luck!
Lesley