CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   meds (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/243740-meds.html)

DRE June 13th, 2004 07:47 AM

meds

What is the proper way of bringing your meds on board? Do I have to keep them in the original bottles or can I bring them in my "pill box" that I usually use. This is easier for me as I have difficulty remembering if I took this pill or that pill today.

UConn1 June 13th, 2004 08:31 AM

Re: meds

You can keep them in the pill box. My mother has multiple post-cancer meds that she must take and has always just loaded up one of the week-long pill boxes and taken it. She does however take a copy of when/what she takes, the dosage, and doctor contact info in case of an emergency.

Jodi

DRE June 13th, 2004 10:35 AM

wonderful idea! I didn't think about keeping a list with me. thank you!

LindaE June 13th, 2004 12:16 PM

We, too, used the daily reminder dispensers. We take a copy of the actual prescription. That way, if you, for some reason, needed to get some while you are away, you have something to give the pharmacist. Also, take a copy of your glasses prescription if you wear glasses, particularly if you wear contacts. They get lost or tear so easily.

LisaK June 14th, 2004 10:33 AM

the cruise line recommends that you bring all meds, prescription and non-prescription in their original, marked containers, this can be a real hassle if you buy in bulk or take multiple meds. The daily dispensers are great, just bring along a copy of the original prescriptions. If however you are taking some type of narcotic - then i would definately bring that in the original marked prescription container.

pnorth June 14th, 2004 03:30 PM

what are schedule a and b drugs? I carried all my meds in one bottle and no problem at all. I always combine to save room in my purse. Anyway I do not think blood pressure and anti depress meds would be questioned.

Lisa June 15th, 2004 12:23 AM

Schedule A and B (or Schedule 1, 2, 3 and 4) meds are controlled narcotic medications including (in various schedules): morphine, oxycontin, codeine, roxicet, darvocet, vicodin, etc. These meds should be in their original containers..............much less hassle.

bravemom June 16th, 2004 03:33 AM

My pharmasist has always reccommended that the meds stay in the perscription bottles (he is also quite willing to break out a small travel size portion into a labled bottle) . I never take prescriptions for additional meds because the majority of doctors are lic. only in the state they practice and therefore their perscriptions are not valid outside that state or outside the country.

With regards to sched. A/B drugs-I have had to make arrangements with my cruiseline to have mine locked up in a fridge in the medical quarters. I have to travel with morphine supposotories in case of a major migrane (43 yrs. old w/ migranes causing 2 strokes last year). These have to be refridgerated and of course the small cabin fridges have no locks so....in any case, if someone has a sched A/B that they don't want lying around in the room safe the cruise lines will let you check them into the medical facility.

If you want the daily reminder type of container check out a store that carries travel supplies-I purchased a zippered meds wallet with the days of the week imprinted above the elastic bands that hold the pill bottles for less than $10.00. It is very compact and will fit well into the wall safe.

Happy cruising, and don't forget those non perscription essentials (pepsid, immodium, dramamine, benadryl, advil.....)