CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Tipping for room service (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/243743-tipping-room-service.html)

cantwaittocruise June 13th, 2004 02:25 PM

Tipping for room service

Is tipping expected for room service? I keep seeing that it is free and there is no mention of tipping. Does the room steward deliver the food or is brought to you by food services?

Donna June 13th, 2004 02:42 PM

Re: Tipping for room service

Hi CAn't wait,
Yes, you tip the person who brings your food when ordering room service. The food is free, but a tip is called for.

Lisa June 13th, 2004 03:27 PM

It is usually not the room steward who delivers your room service order.

Stacy June 13th, 2004 04:15 PM

I do not always tip for room service. If our steward brings us something, I figure that's part of the service I'm tipping for at the end of the cruise. If I were to tip every time I received a service from a steward, I would be tipping all the time. For example, do you tip him for ice, making the beds or bringing extra towels? Now, if a girl from the galley brings the food (you can tell by the "uniform") then I will tip her because she is not part of the staff that gets a regular tip for service.

I know not everyone will agree, but that's how we do it.

Marc June 13th, 2004 05:37 PM

You also don't need to tip room service if tips are already included in your fare.

PhoenixCruiser June 13th, 2004 09:22 PM

Yes, you should tip the cabin service servers, usually $2-$10 depending on the amount ordered and # in your party.

daffomom June 14th, 2004 08:24 AM

We only ordered coffee & juice in our cabin every morning...it was delivered by our room steward. I had planned on tipping, but he was outta there so fast every time, so we didn't. This was on Celebrity..on Carnival, coffee was delivered by someone different each morning.

JC2004 June 20th, 2004 09:50 AM

I've heard you should give a 15% tip for room service. However this confuses me because if room service is free, what do I figure 15% from?

cantwaittocruise June 20th, 2004 02:08 PM

Re: Re: Tipping for room service

Now, I agree with that. Free is free, right? I'm not opposing to tipping in general, but if something is advertised as free but it still costs me, then it isn't free.

Donna June 20th, 2004 03:10 PM

Since you don't have a cost of what the room service is, just tip depending on your order.
If you are getting just a breakfast, we tip $2 to $3 dollars, dinner for two I'd give $5 at least.

PhoenixCruiser June 21st, 2004 09:37 AM

The food is *free*, the service isn't.

ssca June 21st, 2004 10:33 AM

we had room service 2 times a day coffee and sometimes the kids ate in the morning and snacks in the late afternoon and tipped $2 to $3 each time, They really did not seem like they expected it either.

McCall June 21st, 2004 12:49 PM

Marc That is not true, Room service tipping is NOT included in your fare, or in the auto tips most lines not add to your daily bill.
They are completely separates the people bringing the food are not in the tipping pool that you have paid into.

Marc June 21st, 2004 05:30 PM

McCall, look at my signature. My last five cruises have been on Radisson where tips are included, including for room service.

sea angel June 21st, 2004 05:33 PM

You should always tip for rrom service. The food may be free, but the "service" is NOT.
Tip accordingly!
Sea Angel

cruznRN June 25th, 2004 12:18 PM

Although tipping is included in the Carnival cruises I have booked it is the "minimal" amount. I use room service for coffee every morning, this is also my "wake-up call" so I feel like a larger tip is in order. My coffee is delivered at precisely the time requested every time. It may be coincidental but whenever I called room service during the entire cruise, I had my item delivered in never more than 5 minutes! That was worth an extra couple bucks to me!

Lesley

http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=18&hour=16:00

Donalee June 25th, 2004 06:48 PM

If we are to tip for room service then why don't we tip our waiters at lunch time? if we eat in the dining room any waiter on duty may serve us.. I tip my waiter at dinner at the end of the cruise, however the waiters who serve me lunch in the dining room do not get a tip from me. How do we thank the waiters at breakfast and lunch?

Denny June 26th, 2004 04:41 PM

The wait staff in the dining room is included in the gratuties that is either charged to your sail and sign or the cash you give at the end of the cruise. This is for all dining staff and room steward. The tips DO NOT include room service. I feel these people work hard and are always quick. A couple of bucks to them doesn't hurt. It is like anything else, when you are nice to the staff, they are even nicer to you.

sls June 26th, 2004 06:23 PM

Donnalee,

Tips are pooled and given out based on seniority and job performance. If you have someone wait on you at lunch or breakfast get their name and mention them on the critiques. Critiques play an important part. We had a wonderful cocktail waitress at the Captains Formal and Past Guest party. She was from a country we were going to visit a few months after the cruise and gave us tips on where to go. My husband hunted her down to give her a personal tip and find out the spelling of her name for the critique. She was really moved and made a copy of the critique to keep for herself. She told us they were very important.

sls

Destiny 12/2004
Sensation 5/2004
Holiday 1/2004
COnquest 11/2003