Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2004, 06:43 PM
ESS

Default Why charge for Soda/Pop

I have always wondered why all the cruise lines charge for soda/pop. My interest increases when I see some of my cruising companions order two or three main courses at dinner, including multiple servings of lobster. Would it not be cheaper for the cruise lines to have everyone fill up on soda/pop? After all the mark up for soda/pop has traditionally been very high for fast food joints, gas stations, and other outlets. Do the cruise lines make so much money on selling soda/pop?
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom
Default Re: Why charge for Soda/Pop

That's a good question, and i've always wondered too?? I can see some taking advantage of it but why can't they maybe put a limit of free soda--they offer other things and some more expensive than sodas, although most don't hoard OJ or Milk like they do sodas. It would just seem to make since--or if they have to charge lets say in the dining room you order 1 and get free refills like they do in utah. I know in utah--not sure about other states but when you order a soda you can have unlimited refills as long as you're in the restaraunt. (ie you can't leave then come back and expect a refill.)
They do this at all eating establishments from hambergar joints to elegant restaruants.
Maybe we're just spoiled here in utah

Old June 13th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Plain and simple, it's a money maker for the cruise lines.

Old June 14th, 2004, 12:15 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to nurd13

Simple answer: Because they can.

Ecstasy Baja Mexico 8/02
Carnival Spirit Alaska 7/03
Ecstasy Baja Mexico 8/03
Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 12/04
Carnival Pride Mexican Riviera 8/05

Caribbean Travel Tips
Old June 14th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Admiral

Not all cruise lines charge for soda; please don't generalize.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 14th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Yeoman

Marc..
Not having been on ALL cruise lines, (only Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, and Princess, and they all charge) please list the ones w/ free soda?? Just interested...won't make me run to a cruise simply 4 the free sodas...;-)
SSaFWs..ED
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Why charge for Soda/Pop

I'm pretty sure all the mass market lines charge.

When you get into Silversea, Crystal, etc., they don't. But they don't generally charge for booze, either. However, as we know, in general their fares are not comparable to mass market lines
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Admiral

I can see your reasoning. It seems almost petty to have to pay out of pocket for a glass of soda when you can get 3 lobsters at dinner if you want them?? Soda must be a HUGE money maker for the major cruise lines, same goes for alcohol.
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:57 AM
ESS

I still don't understand why cruise lines charge for soda/pop.
- Charging for soda/pop generates a fair amount of ill will. I have heard numerous complaints about the lack of free soda/pop. Soda/pop served through those big cannisters cost pennies to the gallon.
- One would think that the cruise lines would rather have their customers fill up on soda/pop than lobster and steak.
Yes - the cruise lines can charge for soda/pop - so they do. But I have always wondered from the standpoint of customer relations as well as costs why they do it. It would be interesting to learn the economics behind that decision
Old June 14th, 2004, 01:56 PM
kmac

Default Re: Re: Why charge for Soda/Pop

Hey there,

It's not just because cruise lines can charge for pop that they do it - it's because cruisers are prepared to buy the cards during the cruise. There's not enough ill will floating out there - or they simply wouldn't be sold.

Fountain cards are marketed to look like they are a great deal. Drink as much pop as you want for one low price. This appeals to rabid pop consumers and parents alike - they now feel that they are smart to buy these cards for themselves or their kids as it will save them money.

And yes, percentage-wise means a nice rate of return for the cruise line - even if one of us is out there throwing back 5 or more pops a day!