Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:58 PM
KSS

Default Dive mask and glasses?

We would like to do an introductory dive excursion with our teens, but my husband wears glasses (has never worn contacts) and would be unable to see much without them. Is there any solution to this other than wearing contacts? I know that there is such a thing as prescription masks, but I would imagine that no one rents them - do they?

Kim
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dive mask and glasses?

These days many excursion providers and renatal shops do provide prescription masks in standard prescription strengths. Often the standard correction (just below your actual) will be fine. My prescriptions for nearsightedness are roughly 3.25 and 3.50 and I use a prescription mask with3.00 correction and it is wonderful.

To buy your own will cost the price of a mask plus approximately $35 per lens at any dive shop.
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:18 AM
trish1c

Wow -- I didn't know you could rent prescription masks.

Kim I wear glasses & contacts too. I don't like to swim with my contacts but I do snorkel. I'm blind as a bat w/o my glasses but the refraction of the water allows me to see more underwater than I can outside. Even without my glasses I can still see something. I do ask whoever I'm snorkeling with to stay near me just in case though.

Your DH will enjoy snorkeling even w/o perfect vision.
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:53 AM
ESS

Trish is right, one can see in the water even with poor vision.
My vision is so poor that I have to sleep with my glasses on just to be able to see my dreams. I have snorkeled a number of times and have found that I can see about 90% of all there is to see. The fish stay by the coral, which is very close to the surface in many cases. The only time I missed my glasses is when I thought I saw a horseshoe crab on the bottom of the ocean. I took a photo of it, but later discovered it was a stingray!
If you can get a corrective mask - great. If not - don't be dissuaded from taking the underwater adventure. It is great - even for the bats amongst us!
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Admiral

lol @ ESS... seeing your dreams... too funny
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Admiral

also there are masks that fit over your prescription glassess, you have to go to a dive shop to get them, that's what DH did. I can get away without my glasses when snorkeling as the others have mentioned.