Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:40 PM
nuwcruz

Default birthday cake charges

I heard that Carnival charges $8-$10 to have a birthday cake sent to someone in the dinning room. Do all the cruise lines charge now, or is it just Carnival?
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: birthday cake charges

Last week on Seven Seas Navigator, for my wife's birthday, they sent a small birthday cake to the room in the afternoon and a large birthday cake to table at dinner. No charge.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Admiral

We cruised Carnival's Fantasy in January and they delivered a lovely b'day cake to the table at dinner (and wrapped it up for taking to our room later) for no charge.

If you pre-order one of the "birthday celebration" packages that includes a cake, room decorations, etc. you are charged. If you just mention the birthday (or other celebration) to your waiter, you probably won't be charged.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Ginnie

Default Re: Re: birthday cake charges

Royal Caribbean now charges $7.95 for a birthday cake. You have your choice of chocolate or vanilla.
Often my clients ask me to send a birthday cake to their table, as they like celebrating a birthday on board. Most of them are not aware that we have to pay for them now.
Bon Voyage, Ginnie
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Admiral

As another poster stated. Carnival does not charge for special occasion cakes that are served in the dining room. The do Birthday and Anniversary cakes and sing as well. If you purchase the birthday cake option they deliver a cake and decorations to the room and that is a pre-cruise option that you can buy.
Jim

Old June 18th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Admiral

in May on the Celebration we had a b/day for my son... when booking online WITH Carnival direct... they said cake @ table for NO CHARGE !! When the waiter asked if we wanted a cake... they made me sign a Sail & Sign receipt... so yep we paid for it... and it wasnt even very good.... but its the thought that counts, right ?
Old June 18th, 2004, 07:21 AM
First Mate

On Summit in April, we called for an anniversary cake for one of the couples at our table. They delivered it just after dinner, sang Happy Anniversary, and there was no charge....and it was pretty good chocolate cake...as if anything chocolate could be bad !

Sid1962
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Admiral

if you pre-order the cake you will be charged for it.
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:22 PM
jmek34

We booked our cruise direct with Carnival and were asked if we were celebrating anything, we let them know that it was our anniversary and the person we talked with said that they sing and there would be a cake on the second night of the cruise. At dinner they asked us if we wanted the cake for our anniversary and also said that there was a charge---I think $7-$8. We chose not to get the cake but we each had pie and they added a candle and sang for us at no additional charge.
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Passenger

Just got off the Elation. When we booked through Carnival we were told no charge for the cakes on our son's birthday and our anniversary. On our anniversary they bought out one dessert with a candle. That was okay for us but we wanted something more for our son's birthday. We told our waiter and he said that the cake would cost $7.95. The cake served 8 and was okay. Did not do the room deco package ($32).
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:26 AM
First Mate

Carnival is the only one that now charges for cakes in the dining room. My TA mentioned it when I was booking a Princess cruise last month. Its a new policy.
Sea Angel
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Strange. We were on the Fascination in April, and a cake was brought out one night for my friends birthday, and we were not charged. The cake was yummy, too!

Carnival Fascination - April 2004, October 2005, Dec 2006
Sovereign of the Seas - Sept. 2003, April 2005, Oct. 2005, Sept. 2006
Carnival Sensation - September 2007

Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

When booking our upcoming (June 26) cruise I mentioned to HAL's cruise consultant that I was taking my twin niece and nephew on their first cruise after they turned 13 in May but we had to wait until school was out in June. She offered a cake for each of them. One will be served on the first formal night and the second will be on the 2nd formal night. She even gave me a choise of flavors. All of this is at no charge.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:48 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Carnival isn't the only one charging for the cake. Royal Caribbean charges now too.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

well when you call they should ask you if your having a special occasion birthday,anniversary etc and if you say yes for which ever then they will send it to your table for free but if they dont no about it then they will charge you.........then........again......it depends on what waiter you have because if their nice they might not make you pay for it and just give it to you on our carnival cruise last june it was my grandparents 50th anniversary and they gave us champange and cake lol GOOD got drunk off the wine for about 10 mins then it went away couldnt quit laughin but hey im only 14 lol
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
maho

we went on a cruise with 4 other couples (in March)who were celebrating there 20th anniversary
on 4 different nights they were brought a cake and sang to and there was no charge for any of it
the cake was okay but they always brought if after we ate desert so everyone was too full to really enjoy it
a couple of them had them wrap it and brought it back to there room but most of it was
never eaten
it was kind of a waste
I would suggest if it was a kids birthday it would be kind of special to do this but for an anniversary it was a waste of cake
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:27 AM
First Mate

RCL shouldn't charge for a cake.

I just spent my birthday on the Explorer and my tablemates had a chocolate cake brought to the table and we tasted it, called over the matre de and had him taste it and he said it tasted like mold. It sure did to us, that's why we called him over. he immediately took it way and we said no more cake for us. (I'm allergic to penicillen, so mold would put me in a bad hive reaction).

I sure hope my tablemates didn't pay for any birthday cake. I didn't know they were charging.

On my last Celebrity Summit cruise we had numerous birthdays at our table and ordered the cake through our waiter the night of the dinner and the chocolate cake was wonderful. As was the entire meal and service.

I hope if RCL is charging, they make sure the cakes are fresh.
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Yeoman

I wonder if some ta's just pay for the cake themselves, and therefore when your ta orders it some get charged and some don't?
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Ginnie

Default Re: Re: birthday cake charges

Birthday cakes used to be free. All travel agents received notice from RCCL last year, that they would now charge for a regular size birthday cake, but would deliver a slice, or small piece with a candle for free.
Bon Voyage, Ginnie
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Judyumcer@aol.com

Radisson doesn't nickel & dime you. Not only are cakes complimentery but so is wine, bottled water, soda and 2 large bottles of booze of your choice set up in your stateroom. They have complimentery laundry on each floor too. In the long run, it is no more expensive to go on Radisson since all tipping is also included!