Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2004, 09:47 AM
Beginner

Default Need any advice on electric outlets in cabin

We will be sailing on the Ryndam soon for our 1st cruise,and would like to know about the electric outlets in the cabins. I will be bringing a hair dryer, curling iron, and DH has an electric razor. They all have the polarized plugs on them-where the one prong is wider than the other. I have heard that the outlets cannot accept these type of plugs, but what appliances nowadays don't have the polarized plug ends? I really would like to hear from anybody that has been on a cruise-someone had suggested bringing a power strip-but that usually has the 3 prong grounded plug-and am not to thrilled about bringing more stuff than I need to. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2004, 09:56 AM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Need any advice on electric outlets in cabin

Can't speak for that ship. On the Conquest you had plugs at the vanity area. In the bathroom it says the plug is for the razor, but our didn't fit. So he can shave at the vanity area I guess. Some people bring the strips that hold more plugs and then you can plug everything in at one time.
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

We bring the outlet strip -- helps when plugging in the aforementioned, as well as the clock and battery charger.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:01 PM
Familiar Face

I agree with the other posters-- a power strip is definitely called for! Wouldn't hurt to pack an extension cord as well... you never know!

Old July 1st, 2004, 01:08 PM
Beginner

Ok, I will check into a power strip. Which brings to mind the next question-I think most power strips or multi plugs have the 3-prong plug ins. Will this work in the outlets? What type of power strip do most people bring,and where's best place to get one? Thanks for all your replies.
Old July 1st, 2004, 02:57 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

This is going to be the dumbest question I have asked thusfar, but when I was in Calgary recently, my two friends and I had our respective hair-doing products plugged in and we also had a radio and a video camera (to charge the batter) plugged in at our hotel and we ended up kind of short circuting our room and a few on the same floor (oops!)...Do we need to worry about doing this again on the cruise if we use a powerstrip? It was rather embarrasing

Old July 1st, 2004, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

mrsduck - I have been on 9 cruises. On 7 of them I have brought a power strip and never had difficulty plugging a three pronged plug into the outlet at the desk in the cabin.

Carey - I have never had that problem, but I usually have only two (max three) things plugged into my power strip. You will find that the power to your strip fluctuates (never goes off but it is not a steady stream of power.......I found that out when a friend plugged in an alarm clock (not battery operated) and it constantly fell behind real time.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 06:36 AM
Admiral

Usually a power strip has a 15 amp circuit breaker so this would trip before ship's breaker (which I would think is 20 amps, but you never know). It may have been a quirk of fate. Either that or ghosts. <G>

Ed

Norwegian Majesty