Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Default Cruise for my dh and me. Any suggestions?

My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year. We want to celebrate with a cruise. We are both in our early 30's, and we have 3 children. We are not taking our children with us on this cruise. Which cruiseline do you suggest? We would really like a balcony cabin, and possibly a cruise that is fun, but maybe not full of kids. We are looking at Carnival, RCCL, and possibly Princess. We would like to leave from FL since we would be flying out of Atlanta during the week of October 10th. Longer than a 3 day, but probably no more than 7 day. I want a nice boat, with plenty of things to do. There are alot to chose from, but we are overwhelmed I guess you could say. So any suggestions for us? Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2004, 03:01 PM
venice

Default Re: Cruise for my dh and me. Any suggestions?

in addition to the tons of good recommendations you will receive from this board..I suggest you ask friends or coworkers who have cruised to recommend a good travel agent that specializes in cruises for your first cruise. They are very good at understanding your real needs and can make several recommendations..you want to go in October which is a good time because the kids are in school..all 3 lines that you are considering will meet lots of your options..just a personal note. if you are thinking about a 7 day cruise, for your first cruise consider one that gives you maybe 2 major ports and a private island so that you can experience an equal number of "sea" days, "port "days and a "beach" experience..also a newer ship (more fun stuff) and find one that perhaps several experienced cruisemate posters will be cruising the same week that you are so you have a built in "support and buddy" system..all 3 have ships leaving out of Florida (you may want to consider a port other than Miami for your first cruise with my thought process that the airport experience might be less stress)

which ever you choose, I'm sure you'll be pleased and make cruising an annual activity and next time take the kids. There is a 99% chance that you'll become "hooked" like the rest of us
Old July 5th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Here's the best suggestion I can think of. In the red bar across the top of this page are the words "Ship Reviews" PLace your cursor on it and then click on "Anne Campbells Reviews". Anne give very nice general reviews and explain who the ship is geared to cater to so you can choose what suits you. Ships are very simuliar but they are differant and to get the best enjoyment you need to find one that has and does what you wish to experiance.
Jim

Old July 5th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Michelle - in your place I would look towards Royal Caribbean or Princess. One of the Voyger class ships that leave from Miami or Port Canaveral..........or one of the Princess ships that leaves from Fort Lauderdale....Caribbean or Star Princess.

Old July 6th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Michelle, my dh and I are celebrating an anniversary with a cruise as well. It isn't my first cruise, but will be his first.

After sailing on Carnival with my son in January, we chose the Glory. Big, fairly new ship and I simply LOVED all the activity Carnival had to offer.

Of course, itinerary was a major issue for us and we knew we wanted the western caribbean. Glory's itinerary sounded wonderful to us. Jim's right - read Anne Campbell's reviews and then some of the readers reviews as well.

Good luck!
dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone for you imput. It is just so much to go through, and I'm afraid I will pick the wrong one, and my husband will make fun of me the whole trip. I think I put way more into this than is necessary!!!
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Admiral

cruises are so personal, it all depends upon what suits you best. No such thing as a wrong cruise.
couple of points to ponder - the shorter the cruise, the younger the crowd-(3-5 day cruises can be drunken college beerfests), the longer the cruise the older the crowd (10 days plus) 7 days are a perfect blend. October will be fine, kids in school.
Carnival attracts the most familes with kids.
RCCL - especially the Voyager Class ships have lots of "stuff" to do on board ( rock climbing, inline skating, ice skating rink, parades) have been hearing that the food quality has gone downhill.
Princess - my favorite pick of the three. Casual elegant, like a really nice resort hotel, great shipboard atsmosphere. Not stuffy or anything like that, good age range of couples. Great service, really good food, good activites, good nightlife. Freshwater pools, open 24hrs as are the hot tubs.
If you want to take it up a notch from Princess in terms of service, food quality and have a bit more "refined" cruise experience than choose Celebrity.
Cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale is easier and usually cheaper than Miami.
Go for the balcony - they are the best.
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Yeoman

I concur with Lisa. We had cruised twice on Carnival , but when we were in our early- mid thirties we ( who also have 3 kids) decided that for our tenth anniversary we wanted to cruise on our own, and on a "nice" cruise.
Well we went on the Grand Princess ( eastern ) and LOVED it! We just recently went on our fifteenth ann. cruise on the Golden and had a SUPER time.
We loved the resort casual elegance of Princess, the pools are FRESH WATER, and open in the evening, the buffet was fabulous, the balcony are so relaxing, worth the extra.
We thought the staff seemed much happier on Princess too, no sullen stares like we sometimes saw on Carnival.
The ages groups were all well represented, we didn't feel the least "out of place".
We enjoyed the shows, and hubby especialy like the comediens, and the " Cruise Ship Idol".
The Grand was fairly new when we sailed it so of course it was in excellant condition, but this year when we went of the Golden we found it to be in awesome shape for it 's age, spotless, and well cared for.

I would definatley consider Princess, and I have heard some good stuff about Celebrity also.I think RCCL would be fun too, but I have read that the food is not a high piont, and that it is "great for kids" so perhaps not a " romantic" choice.