Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:24 PM
venice

Default Repositioning Cruise

Need some help. My very best friend and her husband and his parents will be going to Seattle in early September. They have never been on a cruise before and I suggest that they might want to take advantage of a repositioning cruise because cruise lines usually give great rates.

Can you give my friend any suggestions as to ships that will be repositioning in September from summer cruising in Alaska and where they might find out the best rates ?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2004, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Repositioning Cruise

Hi Venice,
You may try just contacting a travel agent for specials on Repos, but I may suggest that your friends may-be start with a 7 night cruise for their first or an even shorter one. While repositioning cruises do offer a good deal, there will be some "sea" days that you'll either love or hate, also a lot depends on the weather, most are usually at least 10 days or so, with few stops until you reach Hawaii before they go throuth the canal.
Most travel agents will be able to direct them into the right cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
venice

thanks, I called Princess and they have the PERFECT solution. On 9/18 they have a 2 day or 5 day option on the Diamond Princess. The 2 day is a Seattle -Victoria-Vancouver and the 5 day is a continuation that goes to LAX. The 2 day would be perfect for them because they could fly into Seattle a day or 2 before the cruise (ship leaves at 5pm on 9/18..spends the entire next day in Victoria and arrives in Vancouver early in the morning on the 3rd day which means they could spend a day or two there and then fly back).

So hopefully they will do that and she will like it so much she'll "bug" her husband to take her on a 7 day one out of New Orleans in December on RCL
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Venice, that sounds like the perfect "introductory cruise". My first one was a 4 night Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria-Seattle cruise on the RCCL Radiance. By the time that we got to the 3rd day (the day at sea cruising a portion of the Inside Passage) I was wishing that the ship would just continue on up to Alaska. But I had to "save" Alaska for my next cruise.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Check to see if you can actually book the back to back. It violates the Passenger Service Vessel Act. You are leaving from one US port and going to another US port without going to a "distant" port. At a minimum, they will have to disembark and embark. There was a report from someone who wanted to do same thing in spring but wasn't allowed at all.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 4th, 2004, 05:05 AM
venice

Marc, thanks for the tip..I think they were just going to do the 2 day segment because the whole intent of their vacation was to visit the pacific northwest so the 2 day is a perfect solution

Just fyi I contacted RCL also and they have 3 ships coming out of Alaska that they will reposition and they all are going to Hawaii at about the same time which I thought was strange
Old July 4th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Repositioning Cruise

Hi Vince,
Great idea, hope it all works out.

Message Boards Moderator