CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   How are tips figured for PC dining (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/243864-how-tips-figured-pc-dining.html)

newcruiser July 24th, 2004 10:47 AM

How are tips figured for PC dining

Just wondering if we should hand tip our waiters or use the automatic tipping per day?
If we use the auto tipping how do they keep track of who served us? Will they know who to give it to? Would it be better to hand tip the waiter and if so, when?

LindaE July 24th, 2004 12:31 PM

Re: How are tips figured for PC dining

We used the automatic tipping. I think everyone shares, whether they served you or not. All tips just go into a kitty to be divided by the crew. I have seen comments that if you hand a crew member something extra, it just goes into the kitty too. This is all info I've garnered by reading posts.

Bastet July 31st, 2004 09:08 AM

Re: Re: How are tips figured for PC dining

Hi,

I just got back from the Grand Princess Baltic cruise and had PC dinning. Each time we dined, they wrote down our cabin number and table assignment. I assume that this way they know who waited on us.

Mike M July 31st, 2004 11:34 AM

Tips are pooled and allocated among the Personal Choice staff. The Maitre D' and Head Waiter's calculate the table allocation and dispersal to the staff. It is not based on who served you but on the number of passengers served by a wait team. The more experienced waiters will have the largest number of passengers over the course of the cruise and will receive a larger percentage of the pool.

Take care,
Mike

HannaS77 August 1st, 2004 12:04 PM

Re: Re: How are tips figured for PC dining

We just returned from a ten day cruise on the Regal Princess and and enjoyed???? the ten dollar per day charge added to our bill, The chatges were very long for evrry day
Princess Charged us $6.50 for the dining room staff and $3.50 for the Room Steward. Ferankly this is less than we usually tipped so it was to our benefit. Howwever, what noted was that the glasses of wine ordered at the meals there was added a gratituity of 15% that i assume ?? goes to the table waiter or the assisdtant table waiter since they were the only ones that served the wine. There was no wine steward.

While I cannot confirm this, I was informed that after the $10 per day, per passenger gratutity system was installed by Princess, those crew members( room stewards, waiters) no longer get a salary but are expected to work just for tips.

The Head Waiter told me that the tips obtained through the $10 scheme are pooled and divided up among the pool participants. Our room steward, who just completed his third ten month work contract did not voice any objection to the scheme and he plans to return.

Mike M August 1st, 2004 12:39 PM

Waiters and cabin stewards on Princess and NCL have told me that since gratuities have been added to the onboard accounts the "stiff" rate has dropped drastically. Many people who would just make a dine and dash on the last evening or not leave a tip for the cabin steward will not go to the front desk and have their gratuities removed.

Even with gratuities being added to the onboard account you can still give someone extra if you feel their service was excellent.

I actually like having the tips put on the onboard account and I still give extra to the people who go above and beyond in service. It's the best of both worlds.

Take care,
Mike

carol August 1st, 2004 07:12 PM

Our waiter on the Disney Wonder at Paulo's specialty restaurant told us several times that "tipping is expected and is in additional to the cover charge."

Happy Tipping!

Carol