Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default How are tips figured for PC dining

Just wondering if we should hand tip our waiters or use the automatic tipping per day?
If we use the auto tipping how do they keep track of who served us? Will they know who to give it to? Would it be better to hand tip the waiter and if so, when?
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: How are tips figured for PC dining

We used the automatic tipping. I think everyone shares, whether they served you or not. All tips just go into a kitty to be divided by the crew. I have seen comments that if you hand a crew member something extra, it just goes into the kitty too. This is all info I've garnered by reading posts.

Carnival Inspiration
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:08 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: How are tips figured for PC dining

Hi,

I just got back from the Grand Princess Baltic cruise and had PC dinning. Each time we dined, they wrote down our cabin number and table assignment. I assume that this way they know who waited on us.

Grand Princess - Baltic July 2004
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Tips are pooled and allocated among the Personal Choice staff. The Maitre D' and Head Waiter's calculate the table allocation and dispersal to the staff. It is not based on who served you but on the number of passengers served by a wait team. The more experienced waiters will have the largest number of passengers over the course of the cruise and will receive a larger percentage of the pool.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:04 PM
HannaS77

Default Re: Re: How are tips figured for PC dining

We just returned from a ten day cruise on the Regal Princess and and enjoyed???? the ten dollar per day charge added to our bill, The chatges were very long for evrry day
Princess Charged us $6.50 for the dining room staff and $3.50 for the Room Steward. Ferankly this is less than we usually tipped so it was to our benefit. Howwever, what noted was that the glasses of wine ordered at the meals there was added a gratituity of 15% that i assume ?? goes to the table waiter or the assisdtant table waiter since they were the only ones that served the wine. There was no wine steward.

While I cannot confirm this, I was informed that after the $10 per day, per passenger gratutity system was installed by Princess, those crew members( room stewards, waiters) no longer get a salary but are expected to work just for tips.

The Head Waiter told me that the tips obtained through the $10 scheme are pooled and divided up among the pool participants. Our room steward, who just completed his third ten month work contract did not voice any objection to the scheme and he plans to return.
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Waiters and cabin stewards on Princess and NCL have told me that since gratuities have been added to the onboard accounts the "stiff" rate has dropped drastically. Many people who would just make a dine and dash on the last evening or not leave a tip for the cabin steward will not go to the front desk and have their gratuities removed.

Even with gratuities being added to the onboard account you can still give someone extra if you feel their service was excellent.

I actually like having the tips put on the onboard account and I still give extra to the people who go above and beyond in service. It's the best of both worlds.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:12 PM
Yeoman

Our waiter on the Disney Wonder at Paulo's specialty restaurant told us several times that "tipping is expected and is in additional to the cover charge."

Happy Tipping!

Carol